Search Engine for Photos??

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by RestOwner, Dec 9, 2010.

1. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If there is a search engine for keywords then is there a search engine for pictures too? I mean if you want a photo to be matched onto anything on the internet then is there a possible way you can do this?

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I'm not sure if it is technologically possible yet, since you would have to enter the photo in the same way you now enter keywords. I believe someone, perhaps Google, is working on as way to take a picture with a cell phone, and have results pop up on the screen that would tell you where to purchase the item you took a picture of. If anyone has any information on this, can you help RestOwner out?

3. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are various offers out there for this type of service (reverse image search), the most common I've come across is TinEye but I've only ever used it playing around so can't really comment on the standard of the results.

Edit: I interpreted the query slightly differently to Joe. If you're looking for simply matching an image to where else it appears online, tineye will help. If you're looking for a more dynamic system (matching names/information/etc. to an image, as mentioned by Joe) it's something that has yet to hit the market.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

RestOwner have you used Google Image Search?

When displaying images on your own website, including title and alt attributes in your HTML code, can help how well your image ranks in the search engines. Including appropriate alt tags also helps make your site more accessible to people with sight disabilities who are using a screen reader to visit your site.

If you are looking for images or photos that you can re-use, you can find a huge amount through the Image & Font Sources section of our Useful Online Business Resources thread.

5. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google and Yahoo Image Search works well on these. Some says that BING's is much better.
    Anyways, there's really no technology to identify a picture via search unless the image have ALT tags or in an article which includes the search keywords that you have used.

6. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't think so that you can search for the pictures against the query of another picture and their are crawlers to read pictures but you can search for images by the keywords from google images

7. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What I mean is that, for example I have a photo stored on my laptop and I want to know where it came from like automatically matching it to any sites that could possibly have that photo or I want to know if a certain photo on my Facebook account has been used by others to create a hoax account, just like that.. could this be possible?

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sorry RestOwner, but I'm not aware of any way to do that. Maybe one of our other members will be able to suggest something.

9. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In that case, refer to my previous post highlighting tineye (this is exactly what it does) or search for "reverse image search" to see other similar products.

10. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I tried using tineye but doesn't seem to have an accurate result. Tried matching my own photo and there are no result, I thought that it will give me a result like I have used it in Facebook but none at all.

11. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm thinking that they're searching photos using filenames and other inputted data on the picture, not the picture itself.
    When it regard to Facebook, it changes the filenames and data on the image, and most of the time, making it lower in file size so that it will be easier to load.

12. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No, tineye actually carries out image identification rather than simply keyword matching. So someone can't 'hide' an image by simply changing the name/size/meta data/etc.

As you can imagine, performing image identification is far more complex and time consuming than simply matching keywords, so their database is far smaller (less than 2 billion images) than the databases used by Google/Bing/etc image search.

As for your Facebook image not showing up, that's not really a surprise. The vast majority of locations where that image can appear would be blocked from indexing and, where it is available, would not be very high ranking pages (so little justification for them to spend the time to index it). Tineye can't provide a "100% accurate" list due to the level of processing required and the shear volume of images on the web, but it does a pretty good job at finding many 'popular' images.

As mentioned, there are other reverse image search products on the market, some may provide better results for you.

13. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

what is this reverse image?

14. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Reverse image search is the name given to what you're trying to do.

You input an image, it scans it to pick up on the characteristics (think 'facial recognition' type software) and then scans a database of images for those that match those characteristics (so it matches the actual image and not just the meta data/keywords associated with the image).

15. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Where can I get this? is it a software to download or what??

16. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Paul already posted out one that yo can use online: http://www.tineye.com/
    You can also try http://www.gazopa.com/ which I saw a few days ago.

17. mackey

mackey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I just use Google image search when searching photos and images.

18. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is different from using Google Image Search. Please do check previous replies...

19. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

zero result for tineye and not so precise with the gazopa..

20. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What type of picture are you looking for?
    Paul greatly explains why there are times that these types of image search provides zero results...