scroogled.com By Microsoft

Discussion in 'Making Money Online' started by altcom, Feb 21, 2013.

1. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Have you been Scroogled? Microsoft and Google, who did the wrong?

2. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What exactly is your question?

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've had a look at the video on http://www.scroogled.com/.

I've always known that Google look at the text of my email, because the ads I see on Gmail, very closely relate to the content of my email. Honestly I don't mind, Gmail is an excellent free service and I expect them to get something in return for providing it for free. The "something" in this instance is targeted ads.

If something is really personal and private, it's probably best not to put it in an email, in snail mail or to even be careful discussing it over the phone.

In my opinion it looks a little bit desperate on Microsoft's part, to create a site like that attacking Google. If their email service was better than Gmail, they wouldn't need to put their resources into creating videos and sites like Scroogled. Watching that video actually makes me love Google that little bit more :)

4. Eric Wolfe

Eric Wolfe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Check out PGP or GPG to secure your email from third party viewing and data mining. You wouldn't mail a letter without an envelope, so why send your email unprotected?

5. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just found an article about Google response to scroogled campaign

http://marketingland.com/microsoft-attacks-gmail-on-privacy-in-latest-scroogled-campaign-32813

6. CBI Web

CBI Web
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    BAF Tech Admin
    Premium Member

I personally feel there is too much paranoia about this sort of thing. People seem to think they can have privacy online, when in fact there is no such thing. Yes, most companies respect your privacy and work to protect it, but in the end, nobody is really safe. It's up to ourselves to be careful what we do and say online. We can be our own best protection, or worst.

7. Jay.

Jay.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wow, I really can't believe a company like Microsoft has launched this campaign; I'd be surprised if this doesn't backfire on them. It really doesn't make them look good in my opinion.

8. Picture

Picture
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm surprised by this. Traditionally big companies are so successful they do not need to engage in campaigns such as this. It's also slightly false, there is nobody actually reading your email just a program which is picking out your keywords.

9. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Although targeted advertisements are acceptable. But not at the cost of your private information. There is a big battle going on between EU regulators and google regarding this issue.