Script to Parse Data from Wikipedia

Discussion in 'Computer Questions, Issues & Security' started by b4rbz, Feb 27, 2014.

1. b4rbz

b4rbz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey guys, first post! I want to make a website, but the website I want to make requires lots of information and data to be added to a database. How would I go about parsing and storing data from a Wikipedia page? I figured a Python script of some sort would do but I wouldn't know where to begin.

2. azraf

azraf
    uix_expand uix_collapse

for parsing data, there is lots of scripts available. You can check Python's "Scrapy" framework. PHP's "cUrl" library. NodeJS's "cheerio" or "JSDom" module, or even "PhantomJS" for JS rendered pages. There is also lot more options are available.

Just ask google and that will give you detail.

3. bjdea2

bjdea2
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's a big project !

You'd need to look for common keywords/signposts in each wikipedia page, like the pages structures and look for the common keywords that can serve as data extraction start points and end points. For example look for the part in each page that gives the title data, content data, link data, etc. In fact you will need to work out exactly what it is you want to extract from each page.

Note this all assumes you know how to use cURL in your script to retrieve the pages for parsing.

You will then need to enter the extracted info into your own custom database or into a MySQL database.

This can all be done but it would require a lot of time and work.