Schould facebook be blocked in office?

Discussion in 'Social Media for Business' started by berdi, May 18, 2011.

1. berdi

berdi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There is a lot of talk about how facebook can have a negative impact on productivity of employees and that is a reason why am I thinking to block it in my company. But, can this cause unrest among the workers? Is it good choice to block it an what is the best way to do that?

2. Bliss Elliosn

Bliss Elliosn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Its not a general rule but I feel it largely varies from organization to organization. You will come across lots of lots of organizations that have banned facebook and even or social media site in the office and there are also the organizations that don't mind using facebook.
    Concerning the productivity, it might be affected. Chatting with dear friends, commenting on pictures, watching videos, and then getting back to work, yes, it would take some time to concentrate and produce the best efforts.
    The moderate solution is to let people use facebook only during the break time.

If you have set up a system network in your organization, then ask your network manager, he will do this for you.

3. youngkia1

youngkia1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes I guess it should be banned in your company,some employees don't focus on their work because they much more like this social networking.

4. mysandyda

mysandyda
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It all depend on the office and people, in our office it is not blocked and it is not a problem)

5. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If the reason you block facebook just due to "there is a lot of talk", then it can be a big mistake. And yes, if you found that facebook really give negative impact on your company, you shall immediately block it, but not due what others talk.
    There are still many big company allow facebook but still produce good result. baesd on your actual status to make decision.

6. Andym

Andym
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It should not be blocked at the first place... the company must allow and warn the employees that if the work productivity suffers then the company will block all the social media websites fr them. Eventhough the employees are using Facebook It is important that they also make sure that the complete their work whatsoever.

7. xanderlangley

xanderlangley
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There is no point in blocking facebook. It will not affect the productivity in fact it can charge them up to do well at work.But there should be a proper check that it should be used in limit.

8. electroman

electroman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think Facebook should not be blocked but Employees should not be allowed to do chatting. Just see the notifications and may reply to a few!

9. Casey

Casey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you raised this question, it means that you have some concerns. I think you should propbably ban it, as it mostly used for chattinf/fun, and allow people to use during the brakes only.

10. Grumpy

Grumpy
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

It generally depends on how much your employees use Facebook and if they rely on it for entertainment or enjoyment, I guess. A lot of workplaces already do block Facebook, and a lot don't. A lot of workplaces don't block it, but ask their employees to not use it during work time and use it only during their breaks. I guess that would be fine. It also helps build up some trust between employees and their boss, because their boss can start to rely on them to not use websites which they're asked not to use.

11. sonki

sonki
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it is a good choice to block it!
    Why is there a dilemma whether to block it or not. We all know how can facebook be distracting. What employees do in your time is your business, you pay them to do work.

I ban it in my company so that is accessible on breaks and I do it with software solution (FB limiter)

12. markbrown

markbrown
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In my point of view Facebook should be banned on office. Because most of the people will do not focus in their work and productivity gets affected.

13. Choice Checks

Choice Checks
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Facebook is a wonderful tool to use, but if FB is used in the office, others will take it for granted and use it for personal use. I wouldn't recommend it being used in the office, except for higher management. If you have a website that customers need to communicate though. Use CRM, email, phone, and etc... Its worked before and keeps everyone on track. Offer a sales plan for the employees if its about sales.

14. smartlistful

smartlistful
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yes! facebook should be block in offices. when i was working as an employee i admit that im always on my facebook account. I cant concentrate on my work because of that social networking, i like playing farmville. Im lucky that my boss did not caught me.
    If you want your employee to be productive block facebook in your office otherwise facebook will be more productive not your company.

15. erickate

erickate
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No Facebook is like a stress buster for me if blocked then ill go mad working

16. td2011

td2011
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't think the work place should be able to put a ban on social networking or anything else. I believe that if people can act responsibly and not let it interfere with their working lives then it shouldn't be a problem.

17. f5mtadas

f5mtadas
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it should not blocked in office.
    It should be allowed and I see many
    company workers use FB

Tadas

18. Ashley Rice

Ashley Rice
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it's better to use an employee software for time tracking to stop employees from visiting Facebook or other social networking sites during work hours. Because the truth is Facebook provides a break in work.

19. marketology

marketology
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

its not a good choice to block it but u can warning the employees if someone open it during the work hours except in the break i think its the best time

20. Winona

Winona
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes you'd better to block FB in your company and allow people to use it during breaks only. FB is a big work distraction!