Scheduled Downtime

Discussion in 'Announcements Archive' started by Fergal, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

To help speed up the site as discussed here, Servint have offered to transfer Business Advice Forum to a new hosting server. This is good news as it should result in the forum being quicker for everyone to read and post. However, it will unfortunately result in circa 40 minutes of down time at around 10PM EST tonight (5AM GMT tomorrow morning for those of us in Europe).

We apologise for the downtime and hope that it will help improve the forum.

2. CBI Web

CBI Web
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    BAF Tech Admin
    Premium Member

This is awesome news! Let's hope this puts the speed issue to rest once and for all. :pray:

3. Chris Grigg

Chris Grigg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great news. Hope it solves the problem!

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks CBI Web, I'm with you there, looking forward to a much faster forum tomorrow morning, fingers crossed.

5. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you're already messing about with the server side stuff to optimise the site speed performance, no harm in looking a bit further at what tweaks can be made.

Using something like google's page speed will toss out all of the normal suggestions for speed tweaks (enable compression, reduce DNS/HTTP requests, optimise images, minify html/css/js, merge CSS/js files, use of a CDN, etc. etc.) from which you can decide which ones you wish (or are able) to employ.

The new apache based mod_pagespeed by google (linked to in the page above) provides many of these tweaks to help sites achieve best practise, but it's still very much beta and a lot of development left before I'd be willing to integrate it with a site like BAF (still a lot of bugs to be worked out, especially for a forum based site). I'd suggest sticking to the manual tweaks for now. You'd be surprised how introducing a few of them (gzip compression, css image sprites to reduce http requests, optimising all images, enabling caching, etc.) can start to add up.

6. CBI Web

CBI Web
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    BAF Tech Admin
    Premium Member

Good suggestions, Paul. We have tried a number of things, including suggestions from Google's page speed; and some vBulletin specific tweaks, etc. But nothing has worked. Almost everything that can be tried with my level of access has been tried. There are a few server related things to do that I haven't had experience with, but what we did try should have worked. In fact, once the site is moved to the new server, I would hope the place will be greased lightning.

7. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The fact that the 'issues' are so intermittent and rather random (they don't always tend to occur at peak times for the site, or at least not in my experience) suggests that it's not a 'site issue' as such. Probably why the in-house tweaks didn't resolve the problems, or at least not fully. I'd have expected the reduction in bandwidth usage to help slightly (the most obvious issue would be a bottleneck due to traffic/server load), but as with anything of this nature there are so many possible causes (many totally outside of BAF's control) it's a nightmare to try and diagnose or resolve.

Hopefully the change in server provides the solution (have to say, good PR for Servint in making the effort to help try and resolve the issues like this), after that any further tweaks will be icing on the cake (while almost negligible to users [assuming the site goes to a consistent speed like many of us have experienced on the 'good days' where it was lightening fast], it will have benefits in terms of crawling/indexing/bandwidth usage/etc.).

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The site's back up but the migration is still in process. The migration is unfortunately taking a lot longer than Servint initially said it would, but will hopefully be complete very soon.

Thanks a lot Paul for your help suggestions and feedback.

I probably shouldn't comment but honestly the jury is still out on that one. I've been telling Servint for a very long time that the server was running slowly. They continually replied that there were no problems on the server. I recently got a quote to analyse the server, from a server optimization expert. I asked Servint if they would pay the expert's fee, if and only if he found a problem on the server - in other words if he agreed with Servint that the server was running as it should I would have paid his fee. It was only after this that Servint admitted there was a problem.

Servint are quite an expensive hosting solution so I expect good customer service in return for the higher fees. I've been a Servint VPS client since 2004 and I hope to be a client for some time to come. However, at least for the moment, I don't feel that they deserve positive PR from what's been happening here on BAF. Truth is neither do I, I should have taken tougher action much sooner to rectify the issue, hopefully it's a lesson learnt.

Apologies for the rant, hopefully it's not a conversation stopper :)

9. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That does put things in quite a different light. Thanks for taking the time to share it with us, always good to have personal experiences with different hosts/etc. to draw on. Fingers crossed that this issue does get resolved quickly so, given it appears that the issue always was the server.

10. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It seems to be running faster than before the server transfer. :thumbsup:

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Glad to hear it GekiDan. It's been up and down all day, at times it was fast and at other times the site came to a grinding halt and was more or less impossible to use. I'd like to apologise to our members for the inconvenience.

The migration has been completed, I don't know the reason yet, but it took Servint 12 hours, rather than their forecasted 40 minutes. It will have been worth the wait if we start running quicker now and can put the speed issues firmly behind us.

12. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you handled that very well, Fergal. With our host we just go by what they tell us and trust that it's correct for the majority of the time. Of course patience only lasts so long and that's when you feel the need to take more action but all the back and forth of try this or that eats up time too. I like the way you resolved that there by suggesting they pay for the expert! Very creative.

We have a managed VPS with wiredtree and the guys there have been great, whether you talk to them by phone or via email. I'd recommend them. They are very professional and attentive. We're really happy with them.

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the support and the recommendation Kay, the WiredTree site looks great and I will keep them in mind should I require a new server or VPS in the future.

14. cruzer_rock

cruzer_rock
    uix_expand uix_collapse

thanks admin. thanks a lot :)