Scam?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Rosy Queen, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Rosy Queen

Rosy Queen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Someone called me and said I won 500 US dollars. It was suspicious as he keeps asking questions like my email address, b-day and credit card detail. Unfortunately, I gave my email address and birth date because I was out of my mind that night due to lack of sleep.Is there any way I can tighten my security? Do I need scanners, firewalls, or whatever it is? Thanks in advance

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Fortunately, you did not give away your credit card information, or you have to cancel that. Having your birthdate, if they also have your name, could be a problem, that may take a while to solve. Firewalls are not going to help. As far as your email address, best case scenario, your email inbox gets filled with spam Worst case, they can actually use your email to send spam all over the place, and they can access your contacts as well. If you haven't done so already, change your email password. Then, if your provider offers it, activate two-step authorization.

3. Rosy Queen

Rosy Queen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have changed my password to a stronger one. And yes, I am receiving unknown emails this past few weeks from different persons. I simply ignore or automatically delete them. Anyway, regarding "activate two-step authorization"- what do you mean by this? My friend mentioned Beyondtrust can definitely help tighten up my security maybe through scanners? Is this related to what you are referring? Thank you!

#3 Rosy Queen, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2017
  4. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Do you have anti-virus software, and/or anti-malware software on your computer? If you do, perform a complete manual scan of your computer. If it finds anything, make sure it is quarantined or removed, or both. After removing whatever the scan finds, change your password again. If you do not have antivirus and anti-malware software, get some, install it, and perform the steps above.

BeyondTrust is way beyond what you would need. Two-step authorization, also called two-step verification, adds a second layer of security to your email, and can be turned on in your settings for your email provider. When it is turned on, after you enter your email address and password, the email provider sends a one-time use code to your smartphone in a text, You must then enter this code to access your email. Because it is sent as a text, knowing your phone number doesn't help. You must actually be in possession of your phone to receive the text. That means someone who knows your email address, password, and phone number still cannot access your email.

5. Mike Levin

Mike Levin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I also got some suspicious calls like that. Those scams are just trying to create their own database. You always have to be aware that if someone calling from your bank or credit company, they would never ask for your card info and pin codes. Also it's better not to give away any personal info like birth date or your first school. This info could be used during password restoration process.

The best thing to do, is just hung up