Saving Energy with your PC and fighting climate change.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by nirose, Feb 24, 2010.

1. nirose

nirose
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you are trying to find ideas about saving electricity or saving energy, save electricity and fight for climate change you can start saving power with your computer using this free software that will help you reduce energy waste through your computer and save you money and help fight the global warming as well at the same time.
    [​IMG]
    The Software is

Edison

from Verdiem
    . This software will let you manage the way you would like to save electricity by automatically switching off the display, power down hard drive or you stay inactive for a long while it will shut down the pc automatically. It also lets you know how much energy cost you will be saving, isn't that nice. These are great ways to cut energy consumption in your home, office or school where PCs are left open whole day without use.
    This will also help you cut down your electricity bills and you will be doing a big help to fight the climate change that is degrading our earth's system. And you will be doing that just by installing this free software on all your PC's. The Software doesn't bug your computer in any way or harm it.

Once again the software is

Edison

from Verdiem and its completely free.
    Please Let everyone know about it.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sounds like an interesting application nirose. Do you use it yourself?

I'm not sure that I'd use it, I put my PC in sleep mode when I walk away from my desk and I've used Windows to set my monitor to turn off after 10 minutes of inactivity and my PC to go into sleep mode after 15 minutes of inactivity (in case I've forgotten to put it into sleep mode myself).

Would Edison give me any advantages, over and above that?

3. nirose

nirose
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ya i do use it myself. and it does turn off the monitor and power down the hard drive all by itself. Window does have a feature to do this but this gives you easy access and you can set your own settings.

i too turn off the monitor switch while i'm away and the monitor is set to turn off automatically when idle.

But most people use a screensaver which is waste of energy.

The program edison gives you control if it is your work time or Non work time. You can set the price rate of your electricity and it will calculate the costs you will save.

4. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's an interesting application. And seems to be very useful as far as by seeing the features. I have a question, does it work on Linux or MAC? As I think Windows already have such program in it by default so need of this one.

Thanks!

5. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This looks really interesting. Helping to reduce electric cost using this Application sounds amazing. Also this kind of softwares are very much helpful for global warming countries. Nice share there nirose.

6. heatseeker

heatseeker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have a Laptop and I have an option to do that. The LCD turns off, hard disk turns off while leaving it without doing any work. The other thing I suggest is that taking off power and work on batteries , and whenever batteries are low, then again reconnect to power.

7. gtt

gtt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This seemed a very nice application tool and it's FREE. I definitely will give it a try :)

Nice find on that, Nirose. Thanks for sharing.

--Gerry

8. rapidbilling

rapidbilling
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yeah nice idea to fight with climate change....
    I do also turn off my monitor when I am on idle state....
    There is an option of hibernating your PC when you are busy with some other work....
    This option will turn off your system but your programs will be running on the system...
    when you will start your system again you will find the programs that are running on the busy before it got hibernate....

9. JamesHarran

JamesHarran
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It has benefits also but the saving is not too much like annually it saves $0.103 which can be saved by turning off after personal use.

10. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

These kinds of applications is not needed if you are using Windows OS. Windows have the same feature called Power Options. It let you choose how many minutes it will take before your monitor/computer automatically shuts down if left opened.

[​IMG]

11. Shahrier

Shahrier
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I prefer my own PC's built in auto save. It turns the computer into standby mode when idle. Standby mode doesn't waste a lot of electricity. it wastes only 1 watt per hour.

12. ramirezhenry55

ramirezhenry55
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I hope the saving could be at least $10/month and I'd say it will be all worth it then but thanks anyway for sharing this.

13. melow

melow
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I will check the link that you provided here, by the way did you try this one already?

14. hafez

hafez
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This program is really amazing and I needed a platform like him because I think it is an indispensable program on your computer