Sandbox

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by jhonstwewart, Feb 10, 2011.

1. jhonstwewart

jhonstwewart
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I desire to identify whether Google sandbox in fact exists or it is just a legend. Many citizens are claiming that there is something called Google sandbox. They affirm that every time the sites aren’t performing fine or working on unprincipled plans, they are pushed down to sandbox for a few months. I also read that even MSN and Yahoo are planning to bring this system in place. What is your opinion about this separate filter from the Big G? If you think it exists, then what are the ways to prevent my site from resting there? I’m looking forward to your reply.

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I checked on Wikipedia, and there is an entry for a "sandbox effect". According to the article the "sandbox effect" is used to prevent people from artificially increasing the rank of a new site by sending a large quantity of links to the site from their other websites. There is also supposedly a "reverse sandbox", where new sites that have relevant content, but are not yet old enough to have enough links, are temporarily increased in rank. The article compares it to the "New Releases" section in a bookstore, where newer books are temporarily displayed to increase their sales.
    The complete article can be read here .

If this "sandbox effect" really does exist, how do you prevent your site from being a "victim" of it? Simple - by using only white hat techniques to market your site, and not trying to manipulate Google into doing what you want it to do.

3. dwspro

dwspro
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sanbox is real! that is a place Google put young site into. No one can have complete understand about sandbox. but it's real. Bing and Yahoo don't have sand box concept. So, if you have new site. don't try to build link so quickly.

4. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

According to my research, there is no actual "sandbox". In jhonstewart's original post, he said "...every time the sites aren’t performing fine or working on unprincipled plans, they are pushed down to sandbox", which makes it sound like an actual place. What actually happens is that sites that are not "performing fine or working on unprincipled plans" will see their Google rankings drop, in what has become known as a "sandbox effect". In order to prevent this, all a webmaster or website owner has to do is continue working on their SEO marketing efforts, using legitimate techniques, on a consistent basis, and avoid using "unprincipled" techniques.

5. OliviaSSLGuru

OliviaSSLGuru
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The entire phrase "sandbox effect" is actually scary. Google forums states that it does exist and de-indexing of url can be the penalty. Better to use the phrase "google penalty".

Google doesn't puts young site into sandbox. It gives a grace period for the young sites to see if they can do well and get traffic. Afterwards, if the site performs poorly, then they are put into sandbox.

6. steveryan

steveryan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

advice is to purchase aged domains that are already indexed. Don't buy new domains if you can help it.

Cheers
    Steve Ryan

7. jsingerston

jsingerston
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have seen this sandbox effect on many personal domains. It acts like a trust filter on new domains. It also applies to aged domains that have been down for a while before being populated with completely new content. In other words you cannot avoid the sandbox effect by simply buying old domains. They too can be sandboxed depending on whether or not they have been parked with no content on them for a while. Apparently Google resets the counter for these aged domains and temporarily treats them as new domains again. (This is my own personal experience.)

The sandbox effect occurs when you start link building for the site. You can tell whether or not Google trusts the links you are building based on whether or not you trip the filter. If your website gets pushed way down in the SERPs then you have tripped the trust filter. It will take anywhere from a month to a year to get back out of there.

If however you get links that are trusted by Google (real links from real people that are given in an editorial manner and thus trusted) then they do not appear to trip the sandbox. This is why it is possible for a brand new site that goes viral to actually avoid the sandbox. However, people who are manually trying to build links for a brand new site will trip the filter every time. Google is way better at identifying manually built links versus truly editorial links than people think they are. The vast majority of links that people like us are capable of building on our own are not trusted links.

8. Richard Edmonds

Richard Edmonds
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Never been penalised by Google, and doubt I will. It's more of a "don't do anything stupid like purchase links which belong to spam networks, don't have any authority or trust, and are severely unrelated to the site you wish to link to." Having an unnatural link building strategy will also get you penalised. Keep it simple, keep it safe. If you are slowly generating links to your site that are from signatures, natural trackbacks and more then you will be absolutely fine. Should you begin purchasing links and increase the rate you naturally accumulate links, then you run the continuous risk of being smashed by the ban hammer.

9. steveryan

steveryan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

don't just purchase aged domains. Do your homework first. I never said you shouldn't do your homework.
    Make sure PR is nice :D
    Make sure PR is not fake
    Make sure aged domain pages are still indexed and plentiful
    Make sure that you properly redirect old pages to new
    Make sure that backlinks are not from spammy sites
    etc
    If you can buy aged domains from the same niche as you are already in thats good.

Yeah, you won't get sandboxed if you buy aged domains and ensure you maintain everything as before. Just give it a try. It does work for me. :cool:

also... sandbox is nothing more than the Big G evaluating your site and trying to place it in the rankings. Buy aged domain, make the transition to new site effectively,
    get your onpage SEO right and you will make it through all right. Even with the big league keywords this works.