Salary Negotiations for Start up in India

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by anon, Dec 21, 2012.

1. anon

anon
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,
    Need some help. I am part of a really exciting start up in India (in West Bengal)... before I go into details, this is the pre-story.

I resigned from a job I hated and was approached through a friend (serial entrepreneur etc.) that I met 3 years prior with a job offer. He told me of his business idea in India, that I fully believed in the moment I heard about it. He told me I should come to India and check it out... if I liked the idea as much as I did when he told me, I would be given the decision to stay on board and build this business up, if not, I would have gained a great experience.

Long story short, I went to India, the 40 people working for this idea are all amazing, I got on really well with commencing the build of this business, but India is still something I need to get used to (its India...). I want to be part of this start up and will be talking to him about my future in this start-up.

I got expectations, but always hated salary negotiations.... I have a girlfriend that will be coming down to join me in India in late February, so I will need enough to keep both of us afloat.

My current expectations are;
    - 25,000 HKD (which is around ~3,200USD/ month)
    - Also expecting at least 5% equity & want to be a full fledged member of the board (as I am more responsible of currently running the team to build the website, launch the event and be responsible for the long term implementation process)...

Is this adequate? too low? too high? What would you negotiate? (like I said, he is well off)....
    (if you are wondering what my experience is... i have a total of 4 years experience and have a strong entrepreneurial/social media background)

Really appreciate the help

2. Owen

Owen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

@ Anan ! Thanks for your interest to start business in India. However I would always request what kind of business you gonna start here, so that we can suggest you regarding the investment and ROI guarantee.
    Without knowing the Nature of Business, we cannot figure out your 25000 HKD whether its huge or low.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum anon. It sounds like an exciting opportunity and I hope it goes very well for you. I'm sorry but I don't know what salary levels are to be expected from working in an Indian start-up. Perhaps you could do some research on recruitment sites to determine what similar companies are offering to employees with similar skills and experience to yourself.

Just to clarify, have you already started working with this company or is is something you plan on doing in the future?

4. Bharat Book

Bharat Book
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Anon,

Welcome to the business Forum. certain questions are coming up on my mind. What kind of business are you going to start here? And what are you expectation of salary?
    I agree with Fergal to do some research on recruitment sites. So that you will get an clear idea which similar company are offering to their employees with equal experience.