Sad News For Online Entrepreneurs

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by MBA Trainer, Jan 22, 2015.

1. MBA Trainer

MBA Trainer
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Today I logged in to GoArticles directory to submit my new unique article and found this message there:

"Sorry, GoArticles.com is no longer accepting new article submissions. We wish this wasn't the end, but unfortunately, it is and we aren't able to continue. You can download a backup copy of all of your submissions below so that you can re-use your content on your own website or other competitor sites. Thank you for being a member and we're sorry that this site will be coming to an end shortly."

My question to the forum is, why is this article directory planned to end ?

#1 MBA Trainer, Jan 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2015
  2. HooktoWin

HooktoWin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

MBA Trainer, sites like GoArticles and Ezine articles weren't doing well after Google's Panda and Penguin updates (an arguably before). There have been a few unconfirmed examples of links from these sites being the cause of a Google penalty.

These sites aren't seen as credible or noteworthy. They're typically viewed as sources for spammy, low quality content.

EzineArticles was hit pretty hard by Google's Panda updates in 2011. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EzineArticles
    They saw a severe decrease in advertising revenue so it seems that GoArticles has struggled to pay the bills.

Hope this helps.

3. prestonp

prestonp
    uix_expand uix_collapse

4. tenderalert

tenderalert
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I totally agree with you. Ezine articls is also not so popular today. But to here that Go Articles has downed, shocked me.

5. financeadvisor

financeadvisor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hadn't they been around for a while & pretty successful?

6. HooktoWin

HooktoWin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Financeadvisor, they were around for some time and yes they were reasonably successful. Google's penguin and panda updates hurt these sites pretty badly.

These sites depended almost exclusively on search engine traffic, both to attract users and promote user content. That's no longer the case so there's not much value or incentives to continue posting (assuming they know about this).

7. carloborja

carloborja
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ever since the Panda update came, I can sense that this eventually had to happen.

However, instead of taking this as a sad news, I believe this should be taken as a challenge by all online marketers.

It is a challenge to deliver higher quality content to build relationships with reputable people in their respective niches.

8. IrekJanek

IrekJanek
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it closed submission on 01/08/15. But now back to your question. The article submission sites in my opinion are loosing steam because you are much better off with publishing your own material on social media channels that build your reputation within a community. Most of the of the sites also lack the benefit of dofollw links. If you look at the quality of the material posted on those sites, it is not so great to put it mildly. But that is just my opinion.

9. JohnBrowder

JohnBrowder
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you look at a great deal of the submissions that came into those content sites, they were HORRIBLE. People claimed to have editors on hand, but there were actual spelling errors (the type that give you red squiggly marks if you enter it into Word) on the page! That should tell you why Google ripped those sites to shreds.

10. sunoy14

sunoy14
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I guess this is the end to article directories?
    Maybe not. There are still people using them to submit their articles. But they are not doing it for google. They do it so that their articles get shared on other websites with a link back to the authors website (which can bring traffic without google).
    I think guest posting is better though :)

11. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Article directories can survive if they concentrate on quality, not quantity, just as the authors should. Guest posting is still around, but there too, the author must be knowledgeable in their field, and the post must be authoritative and well-written.

12. Tandy

Tandy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well yes I was surprised to see it had closed - surely the nofollow on Ezine or other directories helps protect against Google's disapproval, if the content is good. I don't know if it is affecting my SEO, but I often write for Ezine and looking at my webmaster/analytics stats I get a lot of views from Ezine. I do like guest posting and Facebook and Google+ and am discovering "groups" also.

Any comments?

13. natedigi

natedigi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Perfect answer. My agency stopped using articles in SEO 18 months ago. We've moved into generating quality blog copy and contacting relevant blogs to our clients and that works far better.

14. IrekJanek

IrekJanek
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google just realized that those sites were creating mostly, pardon my French, crap, using spin writers or manual rewrites of existing information, with little or no original content targeting only one goal of creating backlinks. They reacted and weeded them out from serach results, because their revenue was based on traffic this is killing them.

15. atlantisrocks

atlantisrocks
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Article directories become repositories of spun content that contributed little or nothing to the Internet. Rather than contributing knowledge to the other, most of these sites were used as marketing tools.

While spinning software is still a big market, there is just one less place to submit it.