Running a forum & business help

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by StarbidAuctions, Mar 18, 2011.

1. StarbidAuctions

StarbidAuctions
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Im currently in the middle of setting up a business by myself called Starbid Auctions (Some people would have already of heard about us)

Im currently doing everything myself with admin work such as book keeping, running of the website, customer support, selling, advertising and the forum as well as other things.

So my question is how can i have help say even if its just with having some moderators for my forum so it is less strain on me without having to pay them cash as in having to employ people as would giving modoraters things like credit and a free unlimited store on my website help and would that cause any problems legal wise as i cant afford to take anyone on until i can get the website to take off.

How can you know if that person is trust worthy?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Most forums have volunteer moderators and other staff who help with the smooth running of those forums. These Moderators generally work on the forum because they enjoy helping out with the community and for the recognition they get, rather than for any monetary reward.

The best way to get volunteer staff is from your own forum. Watch out for members who are polite, who are always willing to help others and then ask those members if they would be interested in a volunteer position. This helps address the trust issue, because you are only offering the position to people who have already shown that they are dedicated and supportive of your community.

One drawback of this approach is that you can only recruit through your own forum once it has become established and has a good number of participating members. If you want to recruit some volunteer staff, before your forum has grown you could advertise your requirements in the advertising section here on Business Advice Forum or in the Jobs Section on Forum Promotion. If you have a look through that jobs section you will see how lots of other forum owners have been recruiting staff and you will also see the sticky "Warning when hiring staff" topic that gives some good suggestions to help protect your forum when hiring new people.

Good luck with it.

3. StarbidAuctions

StarbidAuctions
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Fergal i will have a look into these things.