RSS Syndication

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by JPM, Jun 3, 2012.

1. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello folks,

I have my blog feed syndicated with 3 other business/social media sites which republish quite a lot of my content.

They publish all articles with a 'this was originally posted on Social Colleague and was republished with permission' tag, but i've heard mixed views about whether this would be an issue in terms of SEO.

Can anyone clear up whether it would be classed as duplicate content - as it seems to do no harm for some of the other bloggers on the sites in question, which are ranked PR 5, 6 and 7 respectively and have some of most popular bloggers syndicated also.

2. band

band
    uix_expand uix_collapse

RSS Syndication does not publish the content permanently, its just a function to grab XML code. I don't think that is duplicate content, because those content change according to original post.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Are you saying that If I remove the content from my site, the feed updates and get's removed from the sites in question?
    That hasn't been the case to be honest.

4. cellington

cellington
    uix_expand uix_collapse

RSS feeds are typically a reflection of the content currently available - so if you remove a piece of content from your site, the next time that feed updates, it'll get a fresh copy without that bit of content. You're not generally writing anything to the server of the other site, they're simply displaying what's in your feed.

If that hasn't been your experience, perhaps the feed isn't updating as it should. This could become a problem as your feed would grow exponentially in size over time, leading to longer download times, until finally it just cannot display because it times out prior to completion.

5. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm not sure i've been completely clear here folks, so sorry for the confusion.

My blog posts appear on www.socialmediaclub.org and www.business2community.com. The latter takes a feed from my rss and then chooses which to publish on their site. Is that clearer?

6. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I does submit my blog to Technorati, during verification if the code missing, the verification process become invalid. Once I added the code, it able to complete verification. In other word, the feed content change according to original post.

7. band

band
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes it change. Instead of listen our advise, you may get a more solid answer by making experiment (add and remove the content).

SEO and link building process is all about testing and analyse, once we know how the robots/technologies work, it will be easier to target any keywords.

8. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As Band has said, RSS don't publish your content permanently and changes whenever you create changes (in the original posts). However, if you or someone else copied and did not used RSS syndication and posted it on their pages then as we all know - that would be an issue for duplicate content.

Have you already tried experimenting though?

9. cellington

cellington
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When testing/experimenting, be sure to keep track of the RSS update schedules, both on your own site and on the external site.

Your system may only publish a new XML feed on a schedule, which could be once every hour, 6 hours, or 24 hours, or it may publish a new XML feed in response to a content change, such as every time you add or remove an item.
    The external system may pull an XML feed on a schedule, which could be once every hour, 6 hours, or 24 hours, or it may pull a new feed every time the page loads.

So imagine the following situation:
    Your system publishes a new feed based on a cron job - and it runs at 11pm every night.
    The external system pulls a new feed based on a cron job - and it runs at noon every day.

If you publish new (or remove existing) content at 4pm, your XML begins reflecting that new content when the cron job on your site runs at 11pm (7 hours later) and it will begin displaying on the external site when the external site's cron job runs at noon tomorrow (20 hours after you published it).

If you publish new (or remove existing) content at 3am, your XLM begins reflecting that new content when the cron job on your site runs at 11pm (20 hours later) and it will begin displaying on the external site when the external site's cron job runs at noon the following day (33 hours after you published it).

On the other hand, if your site updates the XML feed every time you change the content, and the external site pulls an XML feed every time the page loads...

If you publish new (or remove existing) content at 4pm, your XML begins reflecting that new content immediately and it will begin displaying on the external site immediately.

If you publish new (or remove existing) content at 3am, your XLM begins reflecting that new content immediately and it will begin displaying on the external site immediately.

So knowing the various schedules is crucial to understanding when your content will appear and disappear from RSS-driven external sites. Testing is the only way to know.

• Like Like x 1
  10. sayitproud

sayitproud
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So it sounds like you put out your RSS feed and they manually choose things from it to slightly edit and republish. This is great for you.

The only thing you might want to think about is making sure the copy on your site gets indexed first. When people find that article by search engine you want them to find the page on your site, not someone else's. From what I've heard, if you consistently make sure you get the copy indexed on your site before other sites, you will be good.

11. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Does all of your content get published, eg whole article? Or just a summary or link to your original content?

12. cellington

cellington
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It depends on how the feeds are implemented. Many will just show the title and description, or the title and the first x words of the content, followed by a "read more" link that brings the visitor back to your site to read the rest.

Other feeds are set up to show all of the content, and includes an "about the author" resource box at the bottom.

13. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't like this one. They will bring your visitors away from you.

14. printingray

printingray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

RSS not pic up the content this only check the and syndicate the link of a site. I don't think this is copied as copy content.