RSS or Newsletter?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by patrick0001, Jun 6, 2012.

1. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

User end: RSS Vs newsletter subscription which one you prefer?
    Site owner: RSS Vs newsletter investment; which one is more cost effective to reach readers?

2. jcworlditsme

jcworlditsme
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would have to say that it depends on the situation, both are good for different things.

3. printingray

printingray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Both RSS feed subscriptions and newsletters subscription have strengths and weaknesses, just like any other digital marketing tool. I suggest to use both because where one technology might come up short, the other can fill in and vice-verse. Furthermore, if you keep the primary goal in mind, which is to develop strong relationships and build trust of your followers then you will find both methods to be excellent additions to your digital marketing. In short, to maximize your potential to build relationships with your visitors you should offer both an email newsletter and an RSS feed.

4. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'd go with newsletters. You have a better chance of people actually looking at them because they won't feel like they are being bombarded by you.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

As a user I prefer to subscribe to a newsletter. As a site owner, why not provide both? That way your users can sign up and use whichever method they personally prefer.

6. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are couple of problem with newsletter:
    1. the domain it is too easier to penalty by spam filter.
    2. It cannot effectively deliver the new info in short time, as newsletter is schedule to send out batch by batch. Secondly newsletter must accumulate info or activity, because it only deliver once a week or once a month.
    3. Technical issue, server bandwidth, design rendering problem via email and browser compatibility.
    4. Information send out is not editable, not flexible.
    5. Reader harder to group passed newsletter.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would rather provide both. See, when you have a good newsletter, RSS always comes next at handy. It always depend on how effective that create and market your newsletters and whom are those who received or are subscribed and kept on subscribing to it.

Regards,
    Mark T

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good points Patrick. One way to avoid a lot of those issues would be to use a commercial newsletter service such as Constant Contact or Aweber.