RSS feed copyright question

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by altcom, Sep 18, 2012.

1. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is it legal to republish others RSS feed to my site legal? e.g. if I collect BAF RSS feed, and republish the content at my blog, is it legal?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good question, I would say it depends on the terms and conditions of the specific site that you are taking the RSS feed from. As the content is being created by someone else I'd suggest that you check that you have their permission to use it, before publishing it on your site.

To check if you have their permission, view their site terms and legal notices, if it is not expressly stated you should contact the website owner and ask for their permission. In other words, it's probably best not to assume that you have automatic permission to publish content from another site's RSS feed.

Some people would disagree with me and say that websites provide an RSS feed for the very purpose of allowing others to use it and that there are hence no legal issues involved. However, as stated above my personal view is that it is someone else's content, so it is safer to get permission prior to reusing it.

I'm not sure if you are using BAF as an example or if you actually would like to use our feed. If you would, please send me a PM to let me know which site you would be publishing that feed on and I will be happy to give you permission.

3. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I agree with Fergal. Just because someone has an RSS feed doesn't mean it is OK to publish it. Remember, the original purpose of the RSS feed was to feed a subscriber's own reader, so it was a direct alert to the website's subscribers to bring them to the website to read the full article.

Most sites that have an RSS feed are probably thrilled to have their RSS feed republished as long as there is a link back to their site so that an interested reader can see the whole article. But it is always safer to get permission to use copyrighted material.

• Like Like x 1
  4. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A tricky question here, can website become subscriber? For site not mention the term of use, it is time consuming to ask one by one.

Thank you Fergal and Business attorney, I just make a search the terms of use is vary for different site:

http://edition.cnn.com/services/rss/ - CNN
    http://www.forbes.com/fdc/rssTerms.html - Forbes
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/rss-terms-of-service/2012/01/16/gIQAadFYAQ_story.html
    http://www.juniper.net/us/en/legal-notices/rss-terms-of-use/

Term of use similarity:

1. Link to Content Pages - the feed must link back to content pages.
    2. No editing on content - must show original content
    3. Show excerpt content - no full content allow, so that it encourage user visit author site.

Bloggers.com and Technorati require owner verification, it is a step to authorize copyright material.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the update altcom, looks like you have found a few quality sites that allow you to use their content. Have you found some feeds that you would like to use, but which don't specify in their terms that you can use them in that way?

6. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So far I never think of such question and direct publish the content, until a day I feel that something seem like goes wrong, so I post a question here. I will try to contact those site owner, and request a verified code at their meta tag.