Rough hourly cost for accountant

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by zig&zag, May 11, 2011.

1. zig&zag

zig&zag
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm considering forming a limited company and would like to get a rough idea of the amount (per hour) that an accountant might change for checking our annual accounts and also corporation tax return?

2. John Million

John Million
    uix_expand uix_collapse

$30 - $50 is reasonable

Or you can pay up to $150 if you want a person with a fancy degree. Your best bet will be to post an ad to craigslist, describe the work in detail, and send a stock reply back to all applicants asking some basic questions, and then ask one question of "what are you compensation requirements?" If they come back and ask what you're offering, say "I asked you what are your compensation requirements." If they don't name a price, consider disregarding them because they will be hard to work with. In this way you will get a price universe for the job. The prices will be roughly bell-curved in distribution.

3. zig&zag

zig&zag
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi John, thanks very much for your reply. That's really helpful, and your idea of positing an advert is a great one, I'll try that.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

A good accountant can be worth their weight in gold and save your business much more than what they charge you in fees. I'd suggest that you arrange meetings with a few accountants - talk to them about your requirements, ask them about their rates and what they can do for your business. To be honest I wouldn't be overly concerned about their hourly rate, but rather with the value they can bring to your business. For example, it could be worth paying a lot more for an accountant that can bring you valuable contacts, even if this doesn't involve a lot of billable hours.