Root with VPS?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by expertali, Jan 1, 2013.

1. expertali

expertali
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Guys,

I dont really know much about VPS, but this is my main question, do you get root access on it? Allowing me to create reseller accounts, etc.

Also, how many max people can there be on the VPS? and Does this mean there are that many root accounts?

Does each part of the server have a different control panel. So say 2 people were on the same VPS, one wanted cPanel, and one wanted DirectAdmin. Would it be possible?

Sorry if these questions seem dumb, but I'm just trying to find out about VPS.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum expertali. The answers to your questions depend on the hosting company and VPS plan that you go with.

Some hosting companies provide this and others don't. If this is something you require you should double check that the host provides this, before signing up with them.

Again this will depend on the hosting company in question. But either way, not other hosting clients should have access to your account, they should only have access to their own sites and hosting plans.

• Like Like x 1
  3. GeekGhost

GeekGhost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you have a VPS (a virtual private server) you have your own dedicated environment. You'll normally have root access to the server. Just like on a dedicated server you won't be able to have multiple control panels. If you install cPanel on your VPS, then you can't run Plesk or DirectAdmin. Different control panel do things differently.

With root access to yoru VPS and say...cPanel, you can create shared accounts or reseller accounts. But they will have the same control panel.

Another option is to get a dedicated server. Install some kind of virtualization such as Proxmox, ESXi, VMware, etc and create individual virtual servers with whatever control panel the client wants. But you'll need a server with some heavy hardware. Particulary RAM if you'll be creating a lot of virtual machines within the dedicated server.

• Like Like x 1
  4. expertali

expertali
    uix_expand uix_collapse

thanks for more information