Review TheTimesofAsia.com!

Discussion in 'Website & Graphic Reviews' started by DollarMirrordotcomGuy, Jun 30, 2009.

1. DollarMirrordotcomGuy

DollarMirrordotcomGuy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Howdy, please review TheTimesofAsia.com. An online internet newspaper and Asia's top emerging political website.

Visit us here: www.thetimesofasia.com

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The site looks fantastic, so congratulations and well done with that. Some comments below;

The header area takes up a lot of vertical page space and pushes a lot of the content below the fold. Is it possible to reduce the height of this? Perhaps put the banner ad on the same level as the logo, it appears below it and to the right at present. In fact I'm not sure if that banner is doing you any favours. You might consider removing it and putting it back when your site becomes more established and a lot busier.

When I visited the site this morning I was surprised that the Latest News stores are more or less the same as the ones that were there when I visited yesterday afternoon. I would have expected content to be updated more regularly. Is there anything you can do to provide more regular content?

Have you looked at your site from an SEO perspective? I'm not sure that the words in your title tag will be of any great help to your search engine rankings. You should find Google's free keyword tool helpful.

3. DollarMirrordotcomGuy

DollarMirrordotcomGuy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good points Fergal.

Are you viewing the page using Mozilla Firefox? The site is better viewed in Internet Explorer for now. I am still working on how to make it compatible to all browsers. If you view it in IE, you should not see the space between the logo and the ad. The banner ad should be in the same level as the logo.

The banner is Adsense generated so it adds up to the site's income as well. But yes, when it comes to design and appearance, you're right. The site is better off without the banner ad. Let me contemplate on that in the next few days and I'm gonna decide whether to remove it or change the size of the ad.

Regarding the content, it is somehow related to funding. I guess I could not urge my writers to submit their content because we do not yet have enough funds to pay them. We're really counting on investments but we're also looking for writers who are willing to contribute without the compensation. Surely, there are some of them who are willing. It's just that they haven't found out about us but soon they will. What I'm busy doing right now is promoting the site and looking for writers in other forums, in social networking sites, and offline (word of mouth). I am also sending out e-mails inviting other journalists to contribute a post for free. I'm dealing with it with extra patience.

Thanks for the keyword tool. I'll try to use it in the coming days.

#3 DollarMirrordotcomGuy, Jun 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I was viewing the site with Google Chrome.

In relation to the content, even if you had two new articles posted every day, that would be something. It would mean that there would be new stories for someone who visits the site very 24 hours.

5. DollarMirrordotcomGuy

DollarMirrordotcomGuy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Don't worry, I'm working hard to achieve that goal. We'll get there, slowly but surely. :)

Meanwhile, I have followed your advice and removed the banner ad. I've installed a new version of the logo and banner. Let me know what you all think.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Yes, I like the new header much more. It makes the site look a lot more professional and appealing.

Good luck with it.

7. DollarMirrordotcomGuy

DollarMirrordotcomGuy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you Fergal. Anyone else has a comment?