Review of yourmapmaker.com

Discussion in 'Website & Graphic Reviews' started by yourmapmaker, Jul 13, 2010.

1. yourmapmaker

yourmapmaker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello all.

I'd like to get comments and feedback for a new website I've just launched. Its http://www.yourmapmaker.com It is a free, easy-to-use mapping facility that works with Google Maps to allow you to add maps to websites, emails or forum posts. It requires no programming knowledge or expertise, and it will take you seconds to create a map.

Its specifically for non technical people as I know you can already do this with Google. Its for people who might find it difficult to signup and use the native Google map code.

Its just to allow you add a map to a blog post, web page etc with no fuss.

I welcome any comments.

Thanks

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Your site looks great and I hope it does very well for you. I've never taken the time to create a map with Google, before. Your site really makes it easy to do and I believe it will fulfil a need and provide a very useful service to many people.

The site design is very professional in appearance and it is extremely user-friendly. Some suggestions I would make are as follows;

• The service provides a link and HTML code for users. You mention that the maps can be used on forums. Would it be possible for you to also include BB code.
    • The code generated is displayed quite a bit down from the user form. Would it be possible to move it up a little, so that it is closer and more easily seen by your users.
    • The site appears to use a frame, is it possible to remove that?

In summary the site looks great and the concept is very exciting. I wish you every success with it.

3. yourmapmaker

yourmapmaker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback Fergal. Points noted. Just a question. When you say it seems to use a frame do you mean in the code that is produced for the end user. If so yes but that is so when you can emded it into your site with no adds and so it looks like its actualy part of yoursite.

Regards

4. yourmapmaker

yourmapmaker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Also for the BB code it would only work for the link. To emded a map would require the creation of custom BB codes and if you can do that you more likely to just use Google direct.

5. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it looks great. One thing though: In Firefox 3.6 it chops off the right hand side of the page after the S in Website and there's no horizontal scrollbar that compensates for that.

[​IMG]

You can test browser compatibility at http://browsershots.org. That includes being able to test different browser versions eg IE6, 7 and 8. You just tick the checkboxes and wait for the screenshots. Best to try do it at quieter times of the day. It will give you thumbnails of every browser you tested.

(I uncheck the ones I've never heard of too before I start, to speed the load time of the ones I really care about).

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

No, I'm referring to the site itself. I see a horizontal scroll bar just above your site footer area. The fact that this scroll bar is within the page itself, suggests to me that the site is using frames?

7. yourmapmaker

yourmapmaker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

Thanks everyone. I know the problem. Its to do with the css on resolutions where a screen width is less than about 1200px Will get it resolved. Thanks

8. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great website there. It's really helpful in creating maps that's needed in some sites and even school projects.
    One thing that I could suggest you to add some time is taking the screenshot from the map/place that the visitor's chose. This feature seems to be not available so having a map or your desired place is some what impossible via your site.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've added it to the Other section of our Useful Online Business Resources thread, which gets a huge number of views, so hopefully will help you to get some traffic.

10. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wow, very nice site! I am impressed. Good domain too.

I feel the keywords in the footer is not impressive, however. The keywords should be in the content, not thrown together in the footer. Find something neater than that. Search Engines may also black list you from their servers if they catch that :p

11. yourmapmaker

yourmapmaker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

Thanks Guys and thanks Fergal.

GekiDan - when you say screenshot what do you mean. Is it so you can save the map location as a jpg for example. If so could you let me know why you think that would be of benefit.

Re keywords in footer. Its not ideal I agree but its a single page and very little text so is hard to optimise. Until I get some traction I have no choice. I have used this method successfully before. I'm looking at adding a blog but I'm stuck on what I can actually write.

Thanks again

12. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey yourmapmaker,
    A blog is a good idea for SEO. They update regularly, can have good keywords and content, and can bring a whole lot more user input on the site. I would defiantly consider that. :)

13. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Not that one. I"m thinking that there are some places that can't be pin-pointed by typing it on the Address box. Like this:

[​IMG]

Isn't it much easier for anybody to have a feature like, Use This Map or something like that for this matter?

14. yourmapmaker

yourmapmaker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

Sorry still don't get you. In order to get that map you would have had to enter an address right?

Regards

15. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes. But there are some address that can't be directly pin-pointed automatically by the map.

16. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I like the design of the site, and I managed to get an image of my location. Now, I think you really need to get advertising with large sites that may need this map maker. Businesses usually have screenshots of their location, so I think your site could do well with them.

17. dadiehost

dadiehost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Oh really nice design. Good color combination. I think you done very good job carry-on.

18. HomeBusinessWebs

HomeBusinessWebs
    uix_expand uix_collapse

what a fantastic idea, well done!!

19. IrekJanek

IrekJanek
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I like the overall design. But: the "Website Code" section is too wide (puts a scrollbar on the bottom). Address options limited, no city or state. Favicon missing. "Google Maps" as the first words in title made my tab say "Google Maps", maybe you could do "My Google Maps" instead. Now, functionality: Didn't find my home address (US, NY) and it took a few times to show me the message. I would probably lock the image of "on page preview", if you zoom in/out (mouse wheel, when you try to scroll the page), sections of the map stay blank. Another idea would be to put the preview in the "on page map", disable the zoom change, and while generating the preview, give feedback and error messages if any in the same spot. Just remember it is not a criticism, I'm just trying to help

20. IrekJanek

IrekJanek
    uix_expand uix_collapse

He means the section: <div class="preview-map-data">. BTW I was viewing it on a 24 inch screen (1820 horizontal resolution) and the bar is still there.