Review my new travel forum pls - suggestions welcome :)

Discussion in 'Website & Graphic Reviews' started by simplyjo, Mar 31, 2013.

1. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Friends, Pls visit my new (and first) forum - http://holiday-planning.com/

Any suggestions/ tips for promotion / help with the forum - would be MUCH appreciated :)

Looking forward to your views/reviews.

Cheers & Happy Easter ya all!
    Jo
    P.S - Don't forget to register and say "hello" ;)

2. sheepishwolf

sheepishwolf
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Having more content on your forum would definitely draw more members to it. Consider paying for posts, buying articles for your forum, or simply making the posts yourself. You could also improve the forum by adding a favicon to it, so if people bookmark it it will stand out more against the other bookmarks. I'm also not a fan of how you have the forum title in text and the forum title in a banner - I think you should just have one or the other; a banner with the description and title or no banner with the title and description.

A good way to promote your travel forum would be to buy advertising space on popular travel agency websites online such as travelocity.com or american airlines ( aa.com )

• Like Like x 1
  3. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the solid tips sheepishwolf.

Bang on with the advertising tip - however my budget is low right now so I cannot afford to advertise on the BIG sites :(

I will def add more posts/ get some paid forum posters on board and do some free promos over the coming weeks.

I have hired someone for the technical parts like themes/ banner etc as I am new to forum creation and know zilch about this stuff. Will def lookinto the favicon icon tip. Thanks !

4. Bobby

Bobby
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

Perhaps I can add a few things:

- Adding to the low post comment mentioned, consider removing some categories until members and activity increases. 5 categories with activity is better that 10 with less.

- When I think vacation, I visualize it. I find the colors don't suit that well for the theme of the site. Brights, Sunny, Beach, Relaxing colors may work better.

- The logo could be better, PM me for a great Fiverr option who does amazing logos.

- Get social on FB & Twitter, network & interact trying to drive social traffic to your site.

GL
    Bobby

5. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Seem like it will be a broader travel forum. I was thinking you will just create a travel forum intended only to a particular area. Try FP, they can help you develop and add more contents.

6. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the suggestions . I will def add social traffic . I am working on populating the forum so it already looks a bit "filled up" :)
    Yes! We ought to change the colors a bit. I am not sure exactly how, but I guess I know whom to ask ;)

yes its a broad travel forum so it will be easier to get advertiser's (at a later stage) :)

7. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Oh, So this is your site simplyjo. I thought it was of Fergal. :) Anyways, It's not that bad as it is your first forum. Nice work. But I think you should work on for the better logo. I personally think you should change the background color in near future. I hope all the best for your project and you get more users.

8. lynxus

lynxus
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Personally i think its too dark and boring.

You need a lighter theme. Put some nice sunshine beach / fields / pools etc..
    It needs to be bright and cheerful when you think about holidays.

9. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

but it maybe difficult to rank. Good luck though.

10. sobi123

sobi123
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi , basically am graphic designer so my first look is also for graphic , and then forum theme+etc

1: Am not a big fan of (-) in your domain name,but its ok,
    2: Header+footer can be more better with graphics, (non-pro Versions)
    3: new posts+no new posts would be great with graphics too, currently its presenting Global news types,
    4: forum theme is Alright ( White+ light sky blue)
    5: For Gain traffic on your website, Try Seo and Smo,

Thank you!

11. LordRoco

LordRoco
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That is quite an awesome forum, but rather than anything else, I believe changes must come from you and your staff (if any)

Look at the index? It looks 'skinny' and gives me the feeling that your forum belongs to one of those abandoned lots. You cannot expect people to actively take part in your forum when your staff doesnt do that! So far, there are quite a few threads that require more looking into, and maybe, try boost your content and then re-advertise?

12. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey, we tweaked the theme - http://holiday-planning.com/ - Is it better now ? A more "holiday" look ?

Oh yes, its a BRAND new forum, BTW. Which boosts of 110 posts and 45 threads in just a couple of days tops :) So we will get there FOR SURE =D
    Check back in few weeks and you will be glad you did.

- - - - Posts Merged - - - -

Can you suggest some free themes/styles that would fit the bill or how do we go about tweaking all this ?
    Yes, we are working on traffic :)

13. AnushaJain

AnushaJain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The header div is a real concept and looks great,but he mid section must have some dark colours...THis colour is looking very light..

14. yapsody

yapsody
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Your forum looks good. Its nice and clean.
    You just need to put your logo as "favicon" on your website.