Review for Beauty Care Store

Discussion in 'Website & Graphic Reviews' started by RestOwner, May 26, 2010.

1. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Update - Please review the site at this link http://gloriacosmetics.webs.com/

I have a friend who just opened this online store, and asked me to help her promote her site for opinions and suggestions. She still needs to add more products. She's new to this and can use others' experience or thoughts. So, if you can share some input that would be great.

Old Site, please ignore http://www.vendio.com/stores/MKcosmetics

I think it looks great, and has it well organized. But I'm not an expert in online stores.

2. JamesD31

JamesD31
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Few things, you would want to tell her to put a background to the content - even a white background would do great (which I suggest would be a good feel for the whole site. Though, do not have the content over the background image, it just looks "bad."

She needs a nicer logo, though that's not to bad right now. The navigation should be white - easier to read. Get rid of the pink links and pinkish headers, those are hard to read on the pink/purple background.

So, I would suggest her make a white background for the content, change the normal text to black (on the white background) and white for the navigation links. She than can use some pink/purple for content links if she moves to the white background.

She should make the whole image click able, not just the image of the product itself. As for the page counters, I would get those off, they really are an outdated trend and just can make a website look "unpopular." If she is in need of a tracker, suggest to her the Google Analytics.

3. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree pretty much with everything said above. I didn't stay on the site very long to give you more of an idea because I actually found the pink/black difficult to look at - a little eye hurting - sorry.

4. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

lol ok, in other words she should change the whole color design or choose a more decent template. thanks for your input guys I'll let her know!

5. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Restowner.
    I pretty much agree everything said above, including the background color. Honestly, it does really hurts my eyes.
    Anyways, I'm thinking she is using a store from a site called Vendio. According to WOT (Web of Trust) add-on on Firefox, it received an UNSATISFACTORY rating for the top three categories namely Trustworthiness, Vendor Reliability and Privacy. Here's a link to the WOT Reputation Scoreboard for Vendio: http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/vendio.com/comment#comment

I definitely suggest using eBay for this kind of business since ebay is much more reliable.
    Besides, it's the first time I heard about Vendio.

Hope that helps.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Your friend might try using a white background colour, a white background works very well for some of the major e-commerce stores, such as Amazon. She should also look at optimizing the size of her image files, they really are much too large and slow down her page load. For example the image of the lipstick on the right of the site, is over 1,000 KB's, she should be including images that are less than 20KB.

7. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Interesting link GekiDan, I bet she might want to know this. I had heard a bit about Vendio, I've seen people use it on their ebay listings, but I've never used it before. Thanks!

I agree with you on this Fergal, you can't just throw in images like that. You need to consider other people's page load connection speeds. Thanks.

8. CarlJackley

CarlJackley
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi RestOwner.

They are right... The color your friend used isn't good. Just turned down the brightness of my laptop when I saw the site. It gives a terrible eye reaction which is bad...

The Site Name is the thing I noticed first. It will look better if your friend can add a little left margin on it. Perhaps, moving the site name to the Center of the left header border and the search bar is nice....

The Whole Pinkish template may not be the best one to use for this site. Try using white as the main color theme and give it a pink touch on the header banner, the links or texts, the sidebar and the borders. In that way, the images that your friend used will blend with the content area background since they all have white background color. I hope I've explained myself clear...

GoodLuck!

#8 CarlJackley, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  9. Business Forms

Business Forms
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes.. your friend should change the background color.. it does not look good.. I think she should add some graphics also.. I think she can do so many things as this site is about beauty care store and she can really put so many nice graphics. The most of the women like pretty graphics with light yet attractive colors like light pink, light purple, etc.. White is also a nice option..

10. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey guys, thanks for all of your opinions, my friend has actually created a new site on webs.com she decided she didn't like vendio.com anymore because of some technical glitches. Here's the new site link: http://gloriacosmetics.webs.com/

I think the new design is much better than the one before, what do you think guys?

11. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That is a much more visually pleasing store. It has a much more professional appearance is so much easier on the eye. Didn't take a look around but wow what an improvement!

12. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Your friend's store is much better now. It has a clean and elegant layout. She even used the actual product as a background image which I think is good since it can definitely attract customers.

I'm just wondering why is there a need for a Spanish translation on the navbar and Policies page since other pages don't have that? And the site says that theyonly shipped within the US so I think being consisted with English only is much better.

13. jennifer_colins

jennifer_colins
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I like that design as well, good job indeed

14. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Are there supposed to be half bottles on the right hand side? At first I thought it wasn't displaying right in Firefox but on second thoughts that might be the design. I like it very much apart from that.

Her contact form needs fixed. It showing some HTML code as text eg *Name <br>.

(The old one with the pink wallpaper background looked terribly dated. Those backgrounds are way out of style. Glad she changed it!)

I would agree with GekiDan on the Spanish. Since most of her clientele will be English speaking, I'd be putting that text before the Spanish. Overall it's distracting and better done away with. She could instead create a separate site that was entirely in Spanish or add a Google translate widget in her sidebar. That would give her the added advantage of more languages too.

15. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's a good point about the Spanish Language. I'll mention it to her, I'm guessing she also has spanish speaking clients.

16. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If it's that so, why isn't the other parts of the site untranslated?

17. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What other parts are you looking at GekiDan?

18. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

19. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

oh I get what you mean now. she didn't translate the title pages of the products? Is there a limit for how long a title for a page can be? Reason I ask is, she might have ran out of allowed amount of characters, or I don't know.

20. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It can be any number of characters you want but it is suggested to use characters below 180.