Review Chat Source

Discussion in 'Website & Graphic Reviews' started by FB92, Aug 6, 2011.

1. FB92

FB92
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Site Name: Chat Source
    Site Link: http://chatsource.net

I just want reviews on the message board - not the blog. The blog is a separate part to the forums. Thanks!

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The forums looks good and it seems reasonably active which is great. The forum theme looks professional and it is easy on the eye.

One thing I don't like is the "Become a Donator" forum appearing near the top of your forum index. It makes it feel as if all you want from your members is their money. I think it would be much more appropriate to include it as a small link in your header or to put it much further down the forum index. That way your members will get a much better feel for your community, before they see a link asking them to contribute financially.

Something else you should do is add at least one search keyword term to the title tag of your forum. Your title tag is very important for your site's SEO success and there will be very few people searching for "chat source".

Good luck with it!

3. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

First things first, I'm on my HTC and the url redirects me to market to buy the tapatalk app for €2. It would appear I can't view the actual site.

4. FB92

FB92
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Tapatalk plugin is removed. It was a plugin to support Tapatalk but obviously if it takes you to a market it is not a good plugin.

And have moved the donation forum down to the 'Community' area.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks!

I like the colours and theme, works well with your forum subject and content. Nice logo and layout. I do feel that you may have a few too many forum sections, being new it may be better to have subsections from my experience.

Good luck with it though.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ace

ace
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Your site seems very active and the theme is very neat. The activity seems good (with an average of 87 posts per day). You have ads but they are small which also makes your site looks nice. I think your site has potential and is very nice. The only thing is that as Fergal mentioned you may want to add at least one search keyword term to the title tag of your forum. this helps people find your site when people are searching and can help your activity.

7. FB92

FB92
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Actually Ace 687 New Today

Thanks.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's a great achievement, well done and keep up the great work.

9. Jay

Jay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The forum seems plenty active even though it just released. I also like the theme, it suits the forum well, I can say nothing about the banner as I am the designer of it. :p
    Good luck with the forum fluffybunny, wish you luck with it.

10. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Decent banner Jay. Nice to see a new forum doing so well fluffy, good luck with it.

11. GamingOn

GamingOn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't personally like chatting forums but u seem to do a good job at running one. Keep up the good forum work.

12. TheNova

TheNova
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

To be honest, that looks like the best customized theme from Justin.S I have seen so far on MyBB. The colour's are light on the eyes and text is readable. I love the new navigation bar at the top that's been added, as well as the drop down that comes with it.

I would consider making the Premium Links bar at the bottom centered, it doesn't look good floating to the left.

Overall, well done!

13. FB92

FB92
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks all. We've received a 100/100 rating from another website so it would be great if we could have more feedback. Personally I feel this is the best project I've worked on for ages. :)

14. TheNova

TheNova
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Since this is now redirecting to another forum, I will comment on this one as-well.

When I first visited the forum, I thought it looked like a great active general chat forum. Usually I would register straight away and start posting, you know. But what put me off joining was the theme that is currently being used on the forum. I always had the idea that general chat forums should be a fun and great looking board to be on, but the theme makes it look bland and boring. The navigation at the top looks good, but when you hover over a link it makes the text very hard to read. The hover colour does not blend well with the background of the navigation bar. Moving on, the logo is light and readable, but that too doesn't blend well with the forum background colour. Even though it states the name of the forum, you could maybe try and make the logo colours match the theme. A lightly coloured logo in blue doesn't really go with an all black, white and grey theme. Possibly add a slogan too, most websites and forums have some form of slogan.
    I generally don't like seeing forums with shout-boxes, but I will condone them if they are placed at the bottom of the board. However, you have it right at the top, before any of the forum sections. I always thought having a chat feature/shout-box defeated the purpose of having a forum as that is where the discussions and chatting should take place.
    The forum titles and descriptions can be hard to read for people who have their brightness lowered on their monitors. The light grey link titles and text don't blend well with the white and light grey backgrounds they are on.

I do like the amount of forum sections you have though. It looks highly active with the amount you have at the moment and I can tell that when you gain more activity and traffic and you start to add more sections, it will create a whole load more discussions. I couldn't see any sign of SPAM, flaming or even trolling around any of the threads/posts which only suggests to me that the staff on the board are doing their job well and efficiently. Although, I don't quite understand why 3 Super Moderators are needed as-well as the forum owner/admin, but I won't go into that as all forums hire staff differently.

Overall, it looks like an active board, and I wish you the very best of luck for the future.

• Like Like x 1
  15. FB92

FB92
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I do not own the site anymore as Shawn purchased it off me. I am however an admin so will forward your review over to him.

16. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm familiar with Shawn and that network. I helped him out on his weather forum in the past. Nice guy.
    As for the forum, it looks great. I love the new design. Not a fan of the logo though.

17. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Cool forum you got there. One can easily choose what color scheme that like to use to prevent on getting tired of seeing the usual blue forum scheme. There's also one that can help users in choosing a wide and narrow design.

Banner: I do like the car in there but it seems to me that there's something missing in there. But I'm not sure what it is.
    Logo: I'm not a fan of the colors you used. It really doesn't match on the other forum color schemes... Maybe just make it white or some other colors.
    Favicon: You are missing one.
    Privacy: 404 Not Found.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of chatboxes on forums. It will just steal some content that can be posted on the forum itself.

Overall it it still much better than some forums I see and has lots of room for improvement.
    Good luck on your forum.

• Like Like x 1