Resolving Small PayPal Disputes

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Fergal, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I received a PayPal dispute for a small amount of money today (it had nothing to do with this forum). The dispute was completely unreasonable and the buyer had received everything he purchased. However rather than get into an argument for such a small amount of money I simply issued the refund.

My question is, can resolving a dispute like that (i.e. by issuing the refund rather than disputing the claim) damage my reputation or standing at PayPal in anyway?

Thanks!

2. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No but next time start a thread BEFORE you issue the refund. I could have saved you your money. I've dealt with enough disputes to know exactly how to fix the problem. What kind of dispute was it? Unauthorized transaction? Those are the most common ones. What was the payment for? Ebook, website, etc.?

• Like Like x 1
  3. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yes, there is a refund button for you to refund the money but this can be used only if the buyer directly communicate with you without open the dispute

4. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Even if they open a dispute there is a refund button. That is one option to get the dispute closed.

5. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Really? not sure about that, never get disputed (my record is 100% clean...lol)

6. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

haha You must not do a lot of business via PayPal, which is actually kind of smart. It's so easy to lose money through them.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks a lot for your help Jerlene. It was a "Significantly Not as Described Dispute" and it was for a small ad that I sold. The ad that I provided was exactly as it was described to the buyer and the buyer didn't even claim that it wasn't in the descriptive text he used when filing the dispute. IMO the buyer filed the dispute because he was angry about something else unrelated to the ad he purchased.

8. Dean

Dean
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If he had nothing to really complain about I would have told him where to go. Apparently you were open and clear on all matters and there was little matter for complaint.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You're probably right Dean and from past experience I do believe that PayPal would have supported my defence. It was just that in this instance the amount of money was quite small and I felt it wasn't worth the argument.

10. Paul0130

Paul0130
    uix_expand uix_collapse

All reversals mess with reputation, real bad, and the more you get the quicker paypal will attack you!

If the item is an electronic service / good, just put intangible item and fight it out, back it up with evidence, paypal does not cover intangible items ;)
    But if it is a product which is tangible, then fight it, and back it up with every piece of evidence, and you will surely win.

I only refund chargebacks because you will never win.

But reversals, you can win if you play it like a businessman!
    But yes, it does not really damage your reputation, but it makes you closer to being limited and flagged on the systems to paypal, and then you have to spend yonks sorting a bunch of rubbish with them.

I had to do it despite over 300 thousand pound going in and out over a year period, they still wanted evidence... lol

• Like Like x 1
  11. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Really? actually i dont really know how much i doing business via paypal, just check on it, this year have only 184 transaction but 65% of them is sending money....:(

12. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's not visible to the public though so technically it doesn't ruin your reputation, just your limitations with PayPal.

13. Paul0130

Paul0130
    uix_expand uix_collapse

>> But yes, it does not really damage your reputation, but it makes you closer to being limited and flagged on the systems to paypal, and then you have to spend yonks sorting a bunch of rubbish with them.

Yes.... I did say so...

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions Paul0130, I will take that approach in the future and from now on I will fight these cases.