Request for suggestions

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by webtmc, Jul 12, 2010.

1. webtmc

webtmc
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you or your company owned a website and didn't have someone to maintain it or if you ran into a problem that was to big for you to handle in house,

what would you look for in a business that could do that for you (ie. a Website Maintenance Business)

What features would you like?
    What options might you need or like to see?
    What would you expect them to do?
    What would make this them more of a value to you?

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, take care!

Brad
    True Media Concepts

2. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It depends on your needs.

What is your website currently doing for you? Does it have analytics installed so you can see how it's oeforming? Do you know where you rank for relevant searches?

Are you able to easily add new content or do you need a web person to do it for you?
    Do you have an online marketing strategy? Are you doing SEO or running PPC?

Success online is not about the website - that is part of the puzzle but not really understanding what your problem is or what your website is doing for you I don't really know what advice to give.

As this is part of my business area if you give some more information I can offer you some good quetsions or ideas with which to vet service providers and potentially get the best outcome.

3. webtmc

webtmc
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A little more explanation

Thanks for your reply Technowoman, I am really looking for advice as to what I would offer to others if I had a Website Maintenance company.

I would service small businesses with website technical stuff but that is the advice that Im looking for. What would you want from my company if you needed help with your website. Lets say it broke and you needed it fixed. What would make you think that I could do the job you needed to solve your problem.

Things like that.

Thanks again!

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Personally I would probably use services such as having small graphics designed and having logos and banners tweaked. Small coding and code optimizing jobs could also be helpful.

Do you plan on securing clients via forums and other means over the Internet, or do you plan on sourcing them from your local geographic area?

Have you thought about what you can offer that would make your service better, than the services provided by normal web designers?

5. webtmc

webtmc
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A new question

That is exactly the advice I am looking for, thank you Fergal.

I plan to market broadly over the internet and forums. I want to be a value added service for small businesses that already have websites but need a little help.

I am trying to gather information to find out what would be useful to these businesses so I can determine what to offer and how to make the cost of the service acceptable.

Here's another question... Let's say you are the owner of a small business and you had someone build you a "flat" website that has all of the content coded right into the source and to change any content you would actually have to edit the source code of the page.

If you could do one thing to make this website easier for YOU to manage, what would it be?

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The one thing that would make the website easier for me to manage, would be the inclusion of a CMS, so that I could easily edit and add content to it.

If that was not possible perhaps some training on how to edit the text in the code, this could be facilitated by clever commenting within the code - e.g. edit there. However, I would not recommend this option because it would be too easy for the client to damage the site and then not have the skills to fix it.