Rentafriend.com finds you a friend for a price

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Kay, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good idea or bad idea? My first reaction when I read about this site was how sad that is that we don't value friendship enough to make lasting ones all by ourselves. On second thoughts though, it would be perfect for someone who was new to a neighborhood. There's also people like me who have let friendships drift away because they were too busy working to nurture them the way they should have. It would be nice to have somebody you could call to go have lunch or see a movie without feeling guilty about how long it's been since you were in touch.

2. Remotestaff

Remotestaff
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This new service gives a whole new meaning to the term "fair-weather friends" ;)

The weather remains fair as long as you can afford the hourly rate.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

An interesting business model and one that could do well. As cities get larger and people are living closer together, paradoxically they are getting lonelier and may well use a service like this, to get some company. I'm surprised that they charge for membership and then customers also have to pay the "friend" for spending time with time. It seems a bit like having to pay an entrance fee into a store and then still have to pay for the goods once you get in there.

There's probably a market for a service similar to this, but that matches people that both want to be together and where neither of them are charging for their time. Similar to a dating site, but without the romantic element.

4. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Who knows? Maybe someone who rented a friend might become really close friends after the so called paid time.
    As long as they are a good match, there's nothing impossible.:D

5. yourmapmaker

yourmapmaker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

I'd be worried about some of the "friends" on the site. From the looks of some you might not ever get home. By using this service arent you tell people you are in fact a little odd too. I can see it being used to prey on vulnerable people.

6. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Admittedly, I saw some that looked like they should be on America's Most Wanted. But I shouldn't be judging a book by its cover. Heck, look at Ted Bundy. He was a handsome, articulate and charming man. Apart from the serial killer side.

As for it being used to prey on the vulnerable, you could say the same thing about any social networking or dating site. There will always be a chance of that when large groups congregate online. The demographic will be as varied as it would be in a town or city.

On a more positive note, I did read a profile of an older lady that led a really interesting life! Someone like that I'd choose for a friend. She'd have plenty to talk about and life experience to share. And who's to say they're not the lonely ones? :)

If I had relocated to a brand new city I would feel safer meeting someone from that site because there would be a record of that arrangement than I would about meeting someone I'd bumped into in the street or in a cafe.

Does using it make you a little odd? Hmmm...perhaps. Or maybe it makes you more honest than most about just wanting someone to hang out with on your terms and when you feel like it. There's no hidden agenda on either side. I think it could catch on.

7. Lingua21

Lingua21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm sure that this concept could be put to some really good use.

For example, if you were a lonesome tourist or say on a business trip by yourself and visiting a new city for the first time then you could use this service to rent a native of that city to show you around. The same idea could be applied to people visiting new countries that they haven't visited before.

8. yourmapmaker

yourmapmaker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

Yes assuming ever one on it is genuine then yes it makes sense. But its the genuine part that would worry me. Look at the feedback from online dating agencies. Even though people WANT to meet someone they still lie about what they do or what they look like.

I think there would be safer ways to do a city trip or meet other tourists

9. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You are correct. There are some people who have done this to protect their identity.

10. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Most countries have reputable services like this already.

11. Arlind

Arlind
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well you can say whatever you want but 1 thing is for sure: Friendship cannot be bought! : )

12. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Doesn't mean there isn't room for one more. Very little is unique these days. And I'd wager that Rentafriend is far cheaper than any such agencies would be. :)

13. bensh06

bensh06
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Glad that i don't have to pay someone to be my friend.

14. Shotgun

Shotgun
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it's very well possible for one to find and develop a true friend out of this.

15. Shole

Shole
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't like it so much (no reason)