Remembering Faces and Names

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Fergal, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Does anyone have any tips for remembering faces and names?

Unfortunately I'm not very good at recognising people that I haven't seen for sometime. I sometimes find it hard to figure out who someone is, when I meet them in unfamiliar settings. E.g. if I know someone a little in a work environment I sometimes do not recognise them if I meet them out socially.

Even when I recognise the person I sometimes find it hard to place them and figure out who they are and how I know them.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. CEO Smith

CEO Smith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Fergal!!

Usually, it's really hard to recognize someone, especially if you just met him/her in an ordinary, typical place... somewhere you can't remember. Normally, you can recognize someone if he/she does something unique or you know him/her for a very long time. It's man's nature.

My best advice is that you get his/her contact number or probably write it on an organizer or diary that will help you remember names.

Regards,
    CEO Smith :)

P.S. Its recognize, not recognise. Thanks. ^_^

3. Loskas

Loskas
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I just read an article about this kind of problem on the newspaper today. I myself remember that I have seen this face before, but I'm really bad at connecting the faces to the names. I wish I could improve this skill.

4. abiji

abiji
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well there is a memory improvement system known as "PEG SYSTEM". It helps people remember things they read, people they meet. It has been published in a lot of memory improvement books.

More information on it can be found http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mnemonic_peg_system

5. mark-20

mark-20
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hmm that is a problem right enough, however you are not alone i also forget just about everyones name a think its my age lol (25) isnt it bad lol the thing that a try to do is recognise there speech have they got a lisp and can a make a rymhe with there name and with something they wear or do ( a know this is bad and a relly should stop lol ) but what it is, a know the guy has a dimple and at this point a know his name is daren so next time a see him, aw there dimple daren, as simple as that only 10 x more complicated.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks everyone for replies, some good tips there. More suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks, but I live in Ireland, which means we use UK English. The word can be spelt either way in UK English. I just checked my Oxford English Dictionary to confirm this :)

7. mark-20

mark-20
    uix_expand uix_collapse

well done there fergal a think thats how it is spelt.(am dexclecsic so sorry for any miss spellings anywhere in a reply etc. that i have made before) what do you think of my meathod? there is a few methods a have heard but a know a guy who thinks to him that if some one has a name e.g. david, he will look like a david he doesnt get it right everytime but he says its better than asking. apperntly there is a program for old people to help them rember peoples names, my local college is crazy lol. a do think it helps them rember other things a dont think it is that bad.

8. Fraz!

Fraz!
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I was watching this program on NatGeo of the series 'My Brilliant Brain'.
    A lady had a problem same as yours(worse),
    she was very poor at remembering faces..i guess some rare neurological disorder.
    she said that she remembered her family,friends & relatives by noting
    any special feature on their face like peculiar noses, scars etc...
    by focusing on these features, and forcing her brain to remember them..
    she had developed this habit which helped her carry on with her life.

You Should try the same ;)

9. BlueEew

BlueEew
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't know what to say really. If I have been with someone and met them before, there fore knowing there name. I usually always remember. The only thing I could suggest is maybe adding them to your phone book. One on a mobile phone, and on most new phones. You can add a picture.

You can then check for them on your mobile. :)

10. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well Fergal!
    I have a very good tip for you from the experience of great Man Napoleon Himself!!!
    What he used to do to remember names of the important people is that he tries to use the name of the people he comes in contact with, as many times as he can in midst of their conversation. This really made his mind accustomed to that name & after that; writing that name in a piece of paper he used to tear that paper forever.
    This is the method he use to memorize name of most of the people he meets with.........

11. youbetcha1018

youbetcha1018
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ohh well Fergal, we have the same issue. I am not good in remembering faces and names too. Well, there were several times when somebody will approach me and ask if I still know them, unfortunately I don't. Then they will remind me where did we meet. But still I don't. Ahhh, too bad.

12. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This was what I was going to suggest too, using the name in the conversation. Just don't overdo it. One tip though for those moments you do forget completely is to pretend you half remembered it.First, you need to admit you've forgotten it though, for example:

"I'm sorry, your name's slipped my mind. What is it again?"

It's Bill Smith."

"Ah of course. I remembered it was Bill, just not the Smith part."

"That's ok, no problem."

Amazingly people take this much better than you saying you didn't remember it at all and often admit to doing the same thing themselves at some point. Of course you can switch and say you remembered the surname and not the first name - choose whichever's easier.

Easiest of all is if it's a business person where you whip out your business card -" Did I ever give you one of my new business cards?" and pray they'll hand you one of theirs in return. ;)

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Scifi that is a great tip, that I do try to implement. My problem is probably more to do with faces. I sometimes meet people that know me, but I have no idea who they are. Personally I find this very embarrassing.

I'm particularly bad when I meet people outside of the context, where I previously meet them. For example I find it particularly difficult to place a person, if I knew them in a business context where they are wearing a suit and then meet them some time later in a social context and they are casually dressed.

14. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think that you're the same as my husband, Fergal. My husband also has a problem remembering faces and names. I think it has something to do with our inborn nature. Those who are good in art are better at remembering faces and names, and those who are more technical in nature aren't as good.

The Face-name association method described below should also be a good way in remembering faces and names.

15. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for that Nazreen, you're probably right, I'm much more technical than artistic. I will try implementing that Face Name Association Method and will post back if I see an improvement.

16. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have another great tip Fergal up my sleeves...
    Since I also have to deal with lots of people, it happens many times that I forgot about them. Then in those cases if somebody recognize me & greet me, I first try to get comfortable with them over general topics unless until I remember their name in midst of the conversation from the indication they throw at in between.!!!
    Even then if it doesn't work I do not hesitate asking them their name in between in a very casual manner like..
    Hey Man! I just forgot your name...
    OR
    Your name..ee...eee......ee..e man!!
    I think you got my gesture Fergal....;)

17. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It's an interesting point Scifi, we are often embarrassed to ask people for their name and this only makes the problem worse and it doesn't exactly make for a smooth comfortable conversation. If you don't know ask.

18. deepak_sharma

deepak_sharma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am also not very good in remebering the ames and faces of people. One suggestion which i can give is to keep a small note of each person when you meet them.

19. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Deepak, do you mean writing something down about the person, after meeting them.

20. deepak_sharma

deepak_sharma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes Fergal I meant this only. I know its not possible to keep a note of every person you meet. But atleast you can make for those who are really important...