Regrets?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Keaton, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Keaton

Keaton
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Does anyone have any regrets about school and which that they took another course or tried harder?

2. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When I first left school I had regrets for the first few years as I thought the whole world was against me. It was hard to adjust to not being at school. Over the years these regrets faded as I worked out that there is no point in having them and anything I wanted to do I could, as long as I was willing to work hard. I went to evening college and I'm happy with how things worked out.. Looking back, I would not change a thing.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I agree with Sean that there is no point in having regrets and that they don't help. Saying that, I did a marketing degree in college and I've often wished that I did computers instead, I feel that a more scientific discipline such as computers would have suited me better and opened up more opportunities for me.

But there really is no point in thinking like that and we all have of opportunities to change our course and do something completely different, if we have the dedication and courage to pursue what we really want.

Why do you ask Keaton, what about you, do you have any regrets?

4. gtt

gtt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There comes a time when you think about something like this. As to myself, I am a frustrated-Accountant. If only I could turn back times, I'll make it sure to take my chance but I always thought to myself of great things awaiting me along byways. So I settled taking up an IT course which I think I acquired most and interests me until now. Things happen for a reason. Our potentials vary in the course of any actions we've made.

But on the contrary, I've learned to be always contented and gratified with everything I've got.

5. mv5869

mv5869
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I wish I'd gone into Investment Banking when I left school. Those guys earn a sickening amount of cash for what they do.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It's never too late to change career.

I agree with that one. Even when they make a mess of things they still get paid huge money.

7. gtt

gtt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I know how it feels, Mv5869... Sorry to hear that :(

Working in a bank is my childhood dream, but it wasn't just for me. We always considered failure as our turning point where we can make ourselves become better in every way.

8. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am still in School and almost it's my last year, so the next year will decide my future. I am thinking of choosing Computer related field as I am expert in it. Of course all of your experience shared here helped me a lot.

9. Kowari

Kowari
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have regrets, but it's really hard to judge your past self. When I finished school I didn't have the confidence to imagine myself actually doing much with myself in the world, if that makes sense. So I didn't choose my subjects based on what would help me fulfill my dreams.

Instead I just studied something that I found interesting, while at the same time going along with what my parents found reasonably okay (i.e., while I loved to paint and learn languages, I studied mathematics because it was (supposedly) more practical).

In the end I studied far too long. I took some time out to work at odd jobs, travel and try to learn languages, and studied in a meandering fashion, eventually did a PhD in mathematics and am now doing a postdoc. I never forced myself to grow up, and now I'm 30! I really feel like I've hardly started in life. The best thing about my studies was that was how I met my boyfriend and intended future life-partner.

I wish when I was younger I had gone out on a limb and studied fine arts or design. While this seems less practical, I think it would have been better to pursue a pipe-dream and fail than to float along aimlessly for twelve years. Recently I've started painting and learning about design and I would like to pursue this, but I've wasted so much time!

So I guess what I've learned is that studying doesn't help you feel more grown-up and ready for life. You have to find that confidence somewhere else.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Kowari and thanks for sharing that with us.

You're still young, what's to stop you from doing that now? Doing something about it now will help ensure that you still don't have those regrets when you're 40 (and you'll be 40 before you know it, time flies). Good luck with it!

11. makatiofficespace

makatiofficespace
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I fell regrets because I wanted to learn harder. Now, I'm school again. Trying to learn all that I want for development of my personality and advancement of my skills so that I can regret less. It is never too late to learn new things, right?

• Like Like x 1
  12. JohnTaverner

JohnTaverner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No, i don't have any regret school. so sorry for this. I can't help you in the matter.

13. jjreview

jjreview
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi

I don't regret that. I had the opportunity, but didn't pursue it, and it turned out to be the right thing to do. I think people should get paid for labor-saving. Austrian school of economics. And investment bankers get paid to leverage money. They made a mess of things is right. I'm glad it wasn't me.

I regret a few things, but it's generally agreed so far that it doesn't help -- I mean it helps as long as you don't keep doing the things you regretted, and I don't.

14. johndale

johndale
    uix_expand uix_collapse

During college I tend to change my course which is accounting and shift to engineering. But it seems like there have lots of Math subjects so I just shift to IT Course.

15. kittelsoncarpo

kittelsoncarpo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

peza registration

Regret is an emotion associated with wishing something in the past never happened, something you did that you wish you'd didn't do. To regret something is to experience that emotion. I have so many regrets, but there's a reason why it happens to me. For me I never regret those things and memories that happen to me badly.

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's only part of the story, our biggest regrets are normally things that we didn't do.

17. johndale

johndale
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I can relate with that. I should've taken more on computer stuff rather than accounting. Now that's one of my few regrets in college.