Registering an online Internet business?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Spock, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Spock

Spock
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How would one go off and register an online Internet business?

I already have done the following:

1) Registered a domain name

2) Registered a trademark for that domain name

What's the next step?

2. atuljain7

atuljain7
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Next, you need to host a website on that domain name

3. Spock

Spock
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes I know of that already, however I'm wanting to know what to do next in terms of filling in papers, forms, and all the other legal mumbo jumbo.

4. Emmaq

Emmaq
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The next step should be "SEO". To promote your products or service is crucial.
    By the way, many friends also register a HK company for doing international business.
    Worth trying : ) and Good luck!

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Spock the registration procedures will largely depend on the country or state that the business is based in, can you please tell us that?

6. myusacorporation

myusacorporation
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Spoke,

For an Internet business I would recommend registering a company (probably LLC) in one of the 3 US states known as incorporation heavens: Delaware, Nevada or Wyoming. Personally I would do Wyoming, since it offers most of the benefits the other two give you, for half the price (or more). If your business is going to attract investors such as VCs you could consider doing Delaware Corporation or LLC.

7. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Actually, he is not even close to needing SEO. It would not be "logical" to promote a website if it hasn't even been built yet! It may be helpful to Google "business permits" to find more information about permits and licenses needed for his business, and all the other "legal mumbo jumbo". Once that is taken care of, then he can ask about designing and promoting his site, if he needs help.

8. Emmaq

Emmaq
    uix_expand uix_collapse

OK, you ur right about that. Website first and then SEO. But many friends would do all these at the same time and that's why I didn't mention about it.
    Thanks, anyway: )
    To be honest, SEO is not so easy to get what you want. Good luck!

9. Clasione

Clasione
    uix_expand uix_collapse

SEO takes a long time to work so it wouldn't hurt getting a head start right away, or at least as soon as the site is built. Depending on where (state) your business in located will determine which guidelines you"ll need to follow. Next step would probably be to consult with an accountant who can advise you which type of entity to form depending on your situation, the type of business, and how you"ll be handling it's revenue.

#9 Clasione, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  10. DaveB

DaveB
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i dont think you have to worry about that until you start making money and have to file tax invoice. and in the future if your biz really goes well and gets listed. however , they are still far from now. i have little experience in this field and will like to hear from other forum user too

11. Spock

Spock
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A lot of you aren't understanding my question. I know how a website works and how to promote it. That's not what I was asking. SEO has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

I'm asking what I would have to do to register and apply my business so that it becomes official, like LLC, LTD, INC, or whatever.

The website is just a website, international. However, I'm from Canada, if that's of any help.

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Spock I'd suggest that you contact an accountant who can tell you exactly what registration you need, for your specific requirements. Many accountants will give a first consultation free and this may be all you need at this time. It will also give you a good contact for future legal or accountancy queries.

You should also do some research to find out if there is a government funded enterprise support agency in Toronto. Contact them and arrange an appointment to explain the type of business you are setting up to see if there is any way that they can advise or help you.

Good luck with it.

13. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

In a previous post, I suggested you Google "business permits". Now that I know you're in Canada, I Googled "Canada business permits", and found this site: http://www.canadabusiness.ca/eng/126/.
    If you Google "canada business permits" yourself, you will find several other helpful sites as well.
    As far as what type of business to set up (sole proprietorship, LLC, LTD, etc.), Fergal is right. An accountant can advise you of the best type of business to set up.

14. webmasterpath

webmasterpath
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Spock, can you please guide me on how to trademark a domain? Thank you.

15. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

webmasterpath are you based in Mexico? Is your domain name the same as your business name?

16. webmasterpath

webmasterpath
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, I' based there. Well actually I don't have a business registered here in my country. I was only wondering if I could simply register the domain name. Is this possible?

17. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

18. Morgan

Morgan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Did you ever try googling your questions? I mean you can try "How to register an online internet business" and see what comes up. SEO is the next step that you need to do once the website is fully set up and running.