Registering a company name which was previously dissolved

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Picture, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Picture

Picture
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm just in the process of registering a new business and researching possible names. I've found one I like, it's available but was previously registered and dissolved. Obviously I don't want the new company to be associated with one which may have had a bad reputation. Unfortunately I cannot find any info on the previous company online. This may be because the name is commonly used in may companies and so many results are coming up.

Does anybody have any tips for gathering info on this company?

2. nyairo

nyairo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Go to the registrar’s office I am sure you will get information. You can also get information from the tax department of your country/city or town.

3. partho

partho
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I thing Your should counselt with any experience person who is engage in this field

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Will your new company target the same customers as the previous company did?

If you can't find information about the company online, then it would seem that their name is not going to cause you major reputation problems. If the original company had a real bad reputation I would suspect that you would find plenty of evidence of that, by searching on Google.

However, the reason I asked about the customers you are targeting, is because it is possible that a company who had a small niche customer base, could have a bad reputation without much being said about it online. If you are targeting those exact same customers then that could potentially cause you some issues.

Perhaps you could speak to some of your potential customers to do some market research. Tell them the name you are considering using and ask them for their views and feedback on it.

5. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Registering a company name which was previously dissolved, Well This can do 2 things Advantage or disadvantage. If this implies in domain names, I think if the company was good but couldn't go on due to some issues then registering that domain can be worth it.

Next thing, If the domain was not good or was doing illegal tasks hijack issues in some way, I would say a complete No No. So, before registering a domain. Do a little research. Who is it. Look at it's detail. Sometimes, you can see screenshot of it's old look. Then, you can make a decision.

But, If you can't find about the company info. Then, I think nothing goes registering it in your name. It's like you liked the name and you kept that. Else, there should have been obstacles while registering the domain. If you seek some problems while registering, drop the name quickly because you don't want to be in problem. But I also believe New Name of your choice and New work / project is nothing to do with past company issues.

6. Picture

Picture
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the input.

The domain name isn't an issue, as I will be acquiring one which has never been registered. The company name, I think it's highly unlikely the service I'll be selling will be related in anyway to the dissolved company. I'll keep digging, maybe send an email to companies house to see what info they can give on the previous owners.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

If you have done a thorough search on the internet and haven't been able to find anything on the the company, I would not be too worried unless it is a very local business and you expect to do business in the same locality. In that case, a bad reputation might have spread by word of mouth and you might have some issues to overcome in building your own brand. In any other case, even if there is some negative information out there somewhere, it is probably so insignificant that it would not affect your new business, particularly if, as you indicate,, the service you will be selling is not similar to what was provided by the dissolved company.

8. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Contacting the office of "registrar of companies" is the best possible way...
    Even if you not get full information....you will have at least some data in hand to start with your further research about the company...