Refusal to Sell to Customer?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Schmiggy, Jan 7, 2016.

?

Should we ship the order, or cancel?

1. Ship Anyways

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Cancel and Refund

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Schmiggy

Schmiggy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello all!

We have a product that we are having manufactured and are selling here in the US. We have a patent on the product in the US, but ONLY the US. We received a very suspicious order today from someone in the UK. Their personal information is in the UK, but they are shipping their order to Hong Kong -- more specifically, a manufacturing plant in HK. Even more suspicious, their order includes one of each of our lowest quantities of items (4 SKUs total), one of which is simply a combination pack of the first two SKUs.

Our obvious concern is that someone is trying to send our product to a manufacturing plant to have it knocked off.

Do we send the order anyways? What if our suspicions are wrong? Are we supposed to "police" every order from now on and cancel orders that look suspicious?

Very tough decision.

Thanks!

2. BA

BA
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

This one seems a little too suspicious. What else could a manufacturing plant be doing with your product?

3. Schmiggy

Schmiggy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Our thoughts exactly. I believe we will be refunding the order.

4. Choice Checks

Choice Checks
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I police every order i get. if its a repeat order. No problem. I look at all of the info before making a decision on a new customer/order. I look at the IP address, phone number, email, billing and shipping address, along with the billing info matched their credit/debit card billing address. That part must match for security reasons, but cuts down on chargebacks. Out of 9 years. i've had only 2-4 chargebacks. If your not sure. call the customer and if its a large order. See if you cant get them to send you a PO on a letterhead for more protection. its your business, you protect it the best you can. Good luck with it and always trust your gut. :)

• Informative Informative x 1