Referrer Logs and Right Clicking

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by termterm101, Mar 27, 2015.

1. termterm101

termterm101
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I did a little test with this for BAF. Two sites I own both link to BAF, I checked our referrers and neither of those sites showed up for the last 24 hours. Then I (left) clicked on the link to BAF on one of the sites - lets call it Site A. On the other site (Site B) I right clicked the link and visited BAF through the "Open link in new tab" option.
    When I checked our referrer logs only Site A showed up. So at least for this test, right clicking and opening a link in a new tab resulted in the site not being shown in the referrer logs.
    It's interesting that this could skew your stats. Personally I generally right click and open links in new tabs. When visiting blogs (through links on BAF) that show referring sites I've often been surprised that they didn't have BAF in their list of referrers - now I know why. So if you want your site to be recognised as the referrer, don't use your right mouse button when clicking the link.

2. nidhisharma091

nidhisharma091
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Referrer logs contains links from which a user came to your website and right clicking is directly searching a particular url