Recommend the 4 Hour Work Week

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Awaken, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Awaken

Awaken
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, this is what we all dream of!

Overview
    How to earn a living in four hours (or less) a week – define what you want from life, eliminate time wasters, automate as much as possible and, finally, liberate yourself from day-to-day tasks.

‘The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
    the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.’
    George Bernard Shaw, Maxims for a Revolution

Author – who is he?
    Timothy Ferriss describes himself as a serial entrepreneur and ultravagabond. He is thirty – speaks six languages, runs a multinational firm from wireless locations around worldwide, and had been a world-record holder in tango, a national champion in Chinese kickboxing, and an actor on a hit television series in Hong Kong.

What’s great?
    It’s fun, no bullshit approach. And he addresses many of the excuses that we can come up with.

If you want to radically change your lifestyle this will get you to looking at things in a new light.

What’s not?
    It is focused on an e-business and automation. So if you have passion for a service business idea this is not the book for you (saying that the Elimination tips are still worth while).

There is also a lot of the book spent on round the world trip planning and ideas.

What I’ve taken from it?
    The Elimination tips – from time management, organisation & prioritisation. Also great ways of setting goals which are not only holistic but get you thinking creatively & get to action now.

Resources
    www.fourhourworkweek.com

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for sharing that review with us. I previously read about half of this book but didn't apply the lessons in it, to be honest. I do intend do pick it up again and give it a good read at some time in the future.

From what I did read the part that impressed me most was his discussion on writing down three actions to bring you closer to your goal. One action that you will complete immediately, one for tomorrow and one for the next day. It is an approach that I've often recommended here on Business Advice Forum.

Did you find that some of the book made for difficult reading?

The book was also previously discussed here on BAF.

3. Awaken

Awaken
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, Fergal I found some of this book difficult to read though overall it was conversational. I skipped through bits that weren't relevant like the resources pages and some of the last section about how to fill your new found 'free' time.

I too like the action steps - too often we start with what will i do this week or tomorrow, action should start now!

Anthea