Received email for link exchange. Advice please + Info on Google Cache.

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by rakebackblogger, Nov 12, 2010.

1. rakebackblogger

rakebackblogger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Peeps,

I need some advice. I got a mail looking to do a link exchange with my site and this persons 2 sites which were two old domain names which they bought and now converted into gambling related websites (looks weird as the URL's have nothing got to do with gambling). These two sites are pr 3&4 but the new content has been added only from Oct 22nd..

heres the email

Can someone explain to me how
    1. They are planning to make money out of these sites
    2. any negative affects if I do a link exchange with these sites.. to me these sites seem to be bending the rules and trying to fasttrack PR values and what not
    3. Google cache - what is this of importance?
    4. and any other info which can increase my knowledge of what they are trying to achieve..

Thanks

2. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I myself have been receiving some. But there are times that I really ignore them unless I liked the site or it is related to my niche.
    But I suggests you to research a bit more on those links first before adding them on your site.

And for link exchanges like these, I created an inner page for them to prevent passing PR juices on them. Plus, it makes my links more organized than having the links on my homepage's sidebar. Here's what I'm talking about: http://www.jefusion.com/p/jefusion-blogroll-and-link-exchanges.html

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Google and the other major search engines do penalise sites that link to what they describe as bad neighbourhoods. The fact that the sites in question are on domains not related to their content and they have only added their content very recently, would make me a little wary of them. Personally I would wait some time, until they have established themselves and gained some authority with the search engines, before linking to them.

Not knowing the sites in question, I don't know how or even if they are trying to make money from them. Have they got ads on the sites, or are they selling any products from them?

Google cache is a copy of the page, that is stored by Google, as a backup of that page. You can view the Google cache of any website in their search results, by clicking the "Cached" link next to the site's URL on the Google search engine results page - click the attached image below to see what I'm referring to. By way of example, you can view the Google cache for BAF here.
    View attachment 292

It would be useful to check the Google cache of the two sites in question, if it does not include the same content as the content that is currently being displayed on the site, that would raise a concern that the sites are either trying to trick Google or that Google hasn't indexed the new site content yet. It would be best not to link to the sites, until the content in Google cache is the same as the content on the site.

The more popular a site, the more regularly Google with update its cache of that site. If the sites link to you, Google should treat those links just like any other content on the site and they should be included in the Google cache once it has been updated by Google.

The site owners are trying to improve their search engine rankings by getting more links to their sites. As you probably know, the number of quality links to a site has a large impact on how Google ranks that site. Exchanging links is a very common way to boost the number of links to a site.

4. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

1. No idea from the information given, but potential for them to earn through pay per click advertising, affiliate links, direct advertising, a similar system to yourself, etc. etc.. Regardless of what method of monetization they employ, the more traffic they get the more potential for earnings.

2. I'm not sure I'd be too worried on the "PR manipulation" side of things, from the description you gave they do appear to be related and targeting a similar theme and target market to yourself, so it could well be a legitimate case of reciprical linking due to similiar content/themes/interest/etc (speaking in terms of the SE's view of it).

I'd be more concerned if they are direct competition (how close are their offerings to your own and could they 'steal' your customers), if they are employing any 'questionable activities' (you were contacted by a professional marketer on behalf of the owners, so you'd hope all is 'above board' with the site... but depending on the tactics that the marketer employs [picking up an old domain is an early flag for potentially questionable activities - it is a perfectly acceptable and beneficial method, but it is often abused] the site could be very questionable and linking out to them could end up doing you a lot of harm [linking to a spammy site, linking to a site involved in paid links/link farms/etc. can/will impact on the authority of your own site]), etc..

3. At the highest level, it's not to be honest. Having a page cached (and the frequency with which that page is crawled and cached) is an indication of how 'important' it is in the eyes of the search engines. Given that the site is basically trading off the back of it's previous history (the old PR scores) and the change in content/theme has the potential to change things drastically in the future, I'd not lend the caching/PR scores/historic links any weight, just judge the site on its recent activity/recent content and come to your own view of it.

4. They're trying to increase their standings in the SERPs (search engine result pages) and thus attract more traffic to their site, there's no problem there it's a very common and perfectly acceptable aim. The issue is what methods are they (or the person working on their behalf) willing to employ to achieve their goals. If they're willing to cross the line and venture into black hat territory, being involved with them via reciprocial links could end up with negative impacts for you, so proceed with caution and always view it with a hint of scepticism (I'm not saying don't link, just to satisfy yourself that the site is above board before you do - review the site content, review the sites they link out to, review the sites linking to them, etc., if anything looks off, then avoid).

Reading the mail you received, from a proposed 'marketer' or SEO, it very much appears like an automated mass mail request. There is no attempt to explain why their site is of benefit to your readers, no details on why they believe your site is of benefit to them (no reference to it at all other than a single [easily automated] reference to your domain), so it's a link request that strikes me as very low quality (happy to admit I've high standards, so others might disagree). With that in mind, it would instantly lead me to wonder what other 'low quality' activities (link purchases, mass directory submissions, etc.) might be taking place with the site.

5. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

1. There can be many way they use it to earn money. And i doubt they are trying to sell link, therefore they would like to get more backlink (i believed that this two domain is drop domain)
    2. it can be if the content is gambling, google dont actually like gambling content.
    3. it is important for the drop domain site to maintain their domain, they need to get cache as soon as possible before the PR update.
    4. I believed they are trying to use the drop domain to make money before the PR update.

6. rakebackblogger

rakebackblogger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do you have to put some code on that page to stop google trying to index it?

7. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What do you mean by 'have to'? To avoid problems with search engines?

The simple answer is 'no', he certainly doesn't have to. As long as the sites he's linking out to aren't spammy/bad neighbourhoods/etc., then there's no benefit/reason for blocking them.

8. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah. Paul is right. I don't think there's a reason to prevent Google from indexing it since I'm the one choosing which links will be included in that list.

9. freelancemom

freelancemom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

General rule of thumb is don't link to a website that you wouldn't recommend to your visitors. It also should be relevant to the content of your own website.

10. rakebackblogger

rakebackblogger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have looked over the sites and Im not going to offer a link exchange. As freelancemom says

11. WhatNow292

WhatNow292
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with you