Reasons - Why website goes down in search

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by asad, Nov 14, 2013.

1. asad

asad
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi gurus,

I am running two sites. one is educational website related to mcqs for exam test and interview preparation and the other one is affiliate coupon website. I was off for two months due to some tours and trips. So in the mean time none of website is updated. And search result of both site varies. Educational website comes up in search while coupon site goes down. My this thread is related to coupon website that why it is down.

My main page goes down. e.g if i search in google "mywebsite name" then it comes in 6th or 7th position. And its facebook, twitter pages comes up.
    No website rank degradation.
    Some of pages that were on top from the day first when created with out any back link seo and content updation, goes to 2nd page 5th or 6th number. So searching what are the reasons why those pages go down.

Regards
    Asad

2. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google gives priority to updates of your site. If you are updating your site frequently then Google does crawl it and makes it at the top. So, the reason behind not updating can be the reason your site is going down on SERP. Put some more contents and update timely. If you want to get top SERP then you need to get quality backlinks too.

3. asad

asad
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks. Right, If we think so they why not both site goes down..I think the down site has much in competition as compared to the other one..

4. Jason Fox

Jason Fox
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The coupon site probably does have more competition and therefore needs to be refreshed with updated content more consistently. If this happened within the last few months it may have something to do with the Google Hummingbird update.

“To maintain, and even increase your … site’s pagerank, strive to update it with fresh and high quality content on a regular basis. This is where a blog is extremely useful. You want to publish at least three new blog posts each week.”

5. asad

asad
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This happened during previous two months as website was last updated on September 07 and then on November 11

6. marrick

marrick
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google Hummingbird has nothing to do with ranking drops. Visit search engine land for more information.

For the OP, I think you just need to update your site in terms of fresh links and contents. If you have something in your site that is naturally updated, then you should start with that. After some updates, observe if there's some changes.

7. carlbaker

carlbaker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The first step I would take is check whether your tracking code etc. is corrupted, removed, or hacked. Then, remove filters and log on to the site yourself and see whether it registers.

It is quite unusual, even if you're penalized by Google, for it to go down to zero from 1000.

8. asad

asad
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have added some more content, and these are in search now. I checked for penalties, but it does not seem that there is any. But some individual pages goes down.. and it makes me thinking again. As i want to catch the actual problem. Resolving those issues will be other task.

In the same way my this site search behavior, I have already faced with another site and i have closed that site. But now it comes to the 2nd site so i am trying to catch it. Here are the issues.

When i search the website name in google it comes at 7th position. And it should be on first position (there is some specific seo term for this i have forgotten)
    Some of pages of my site are in Google index but not showing them in search. I want to see them back. These pages remain on their position for more than a year.

And another point is when there is less content on site, pages come in search and when more content pages added, the old pages goes down although every page have different search content and keywords
    Any gurus there to suggest.........

Regards

9. Jason Fox

Jason Fox
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

"Does this mean I’m going to lose traffic from Google?

If you haven’t in the past month, well, you came through Hummingbird unscathed. After all, it went live about a month ago. If you were going to have problems with it, you would have known by now. -- SearchEngineLand

What people say is that if you are practicing Good SEO techniques, then Hummingbird will have no affect on your rankings.