Reasons not to start a business or be self employed in any way

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by CloptonCapital, Mar 26, 2011.

1. CloptonCapital

CloptonCapital
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I cringe when I hear so many people who are sick of their jobs say things like:

"If I worked for myself I could work when I want how I want"

Yeah, thats not how the World works. Regardless of whose signing a paycheck, You never have absolute control over what you will have to do and the part about working when you want? If you want to work spuratically and with far more intelligence than a typical employee, then yes this works, but if you mean you can blow off your own responsibilites because its your operation, your head is already in the wrong place.

Narcissism

wanting to own your own operation just so you can have your name on something. The thrill will fade and so will your desire.

Just to make more money

Think again, you will likely make less and in many cases negative dollars your first year. If the goal is making more money immediately, this is probably not the route to take.

2. Matt

Matt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, that is the problem with not having a boss to look after you. People will normally start to slack off and not do their job but there are some of those self starters that would do good in this.

3. Rasha

Rasha
    uix_expand uix_collapse

unfortunately, I disagree with you .. Building a business online is a process that can be learned , once you have the skills, you can have your own business and I may add a successful business online.

As for working for others, it's right that you get paid a certain amount of money at a certain time but you will have to do ten times more effort than you get paid. Usually you get paid not enough money when you work for others online.

4. CloptonCapital

CloptonCapital
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You never lose money when working for someone else. You are missing the risk/reward relation. Business owners often make negative incomes. As far as building a business online can be learned ABSOLUTELY agree. You should never do it simply to make more money as the risk comes with it and facing that risk isn't easy.

5. hetalhet

hetalhet
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well I am also agree here but I also things that It all depends on Person to Person and their attitude and Vision towards their business.

I have tried doing business just as a fresher. Though I was hard working, motivated, Vision was clear but still I failed once just because of lacking of self discipline. Then I did job for 1.5 years (even doing today also) but Now I am more self discipline (that is what I learn from my Job) and now I am earning money online at working home along with Job also. n Now I can see clearly that if I will left ,y job in next two years for doing some business, I will never Fail.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Owning your own business is generally a greater challenge and something that requires more work, than being employed by someone else. It is the challenge and the sense of personal achievement I would get from building a successful business that motivates me. Other motivating factors are independence, the opportunity to earn more money and the ability to do something that I genuinely believe will help others and make the world a better place.

7. smith360

smith360
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Don’t you think your life would be much easier if you got paid while you were eating, sleeping, and playing with the kids too? haha.. I prefer having my own business than finding a job! :D

8. Klaus

Klaus
    uix_expand uix_collapse

a) When you run a business, the client is the boss.
    b) Managing employees is hard work. It's easy inside a corporation but much harder in a SME where you have to ensure that they're productive and have to earn their keep.
    c) You don't have regular income at the end of the month. But you have regular outgoings (paying employees, office lease etc)
    d) If you have regular income, you are always worrying clients will go elsewhere - you have to regularly innovate (see http://www.managing-creativity.com/ ) and conduct competitor anaylsis.
    e) It's harder to get loans such as a mortgage etc.
    f) You work far longer hours than if you were an employee.
    g) If you are not successful, you lose everything. Even the house, if you have used it to leverage finance.
    h) You can't go back to the job market, if you ever need to - employers don't want someone who may leave at any moment to start their own venture; your "employee skills" are redundant; in reality, employers want most of their employees to be docile on some level - just to do what they want them to do efficiently.
    i) You don't have pension provision etc. These are minimised if your business is going through a rough period.
    j) It's lonely - you work alone most of the time; employees are not shoulders to cry on.
    k) Your friends and family are usually an obstacle, especially if you have kids - your wife/partner will see the benefit of a regular employee income and less time spent thinking about your work.
    l) The government says it is keen to promote entrepreneurs but what it really wants is your tax revenue. There are few tax-exempt expenses when you first start - they only start building up when you get bigger. This is a big obstacle to profit in the early years.

There are many more reasons not to do it. Definitely not the dream most people think of.

Entrepreneurs are not risk takers - they're risk managers. But if you fail you lose EVERYTHING. If you succeed, you gain freedom and all the rest, so in that there is risk.

Anyway....thought I'd add my two-cents.

9. sidramalik100

sidramalik100
    uix_expand uix_collapse

well i appreciate your post and also agree with you

10. realhope

realhope
    uix_expand uix_collapse

your true way for success

when you work for someone you r not risking any way but when you work for yourself you can have some risks according to your work nature , but i always agree that when work is risky it is so exciting, and please visit my new site which will help you make safe , available and easy business online without any risks, good luck

#10 realhope, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  11. Casey

Casey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

CloptonCapital,
    unfortunately I am so disagree with you. Being an entrepreneur and owning your own thing gives you so much more freedom in terms of finance, creativity and time. Really.

12. TheFlowDoctor

TheFlowDoctor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Klaus, I have to disagree. The client is "the boss" if you LET them be. But they can simply be the client if you are running things correctly. Offering true value means you can sleep well at night knowing that even if some clients leave, more will come along with a better mindset of your relationship with them.

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good point TheFlowDoctor, some clients are unfortunately not worth having. They complain too much and make unrealistic demands, the most troublesome clients are generally the least profitable ones and by getting rid of them you can free up more time to provide a truly excellent service to your most profitable clients.

14. td2011

td2011
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes working and owning your own business sounds great but it's all down to you to make it work. Self discipline lots of self motivation and thinking ahead all very basic but important factors...