Featured: Reading Speed, how do I increase it?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Chrisj0401, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Right now, I'm reading speed of 127wpm (avg. college student according to statistics is 250-300wpm), and my comprehension is 75%-80%.

How do I increase my reading speed and still not damage my comprehension. I've read everywhere that if I increase my reading speeds its impossible to not get a decreased level of comprehension. I need to increase my reading level but not decrease my comprehension at all. I'm about to start college and reading/writing will be difficult for me with my current speeds.

Can anyone give any tips to this area?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Here you go Chris, the links below all contain useful info on this topic. Read the articles and watch the video and you will find ways to increase your reading speed. Not all of the tips and techniques will be relevant to you, but there is a lot of good free info there and you will definitely find something in it to increase your reading speed.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_reading
    2. http://www.wikihow.com/Learn-Speed-Reading
    3. http://www.mindtools.com/speedrd.html
    4. http://www.ehow.com/how_2032641_learn-speed-reading.html
    5. Speed Reading on You Tube
    6. Speed Reading on Google Videos
    7. http://www.speedreadingtactics.com/
    8. http://www.speedlearning.org/
    9. Watch the video below.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cPOIZ6DGXWE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cPOIZ6DGXWE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

3. harisjmi

harisjmi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Admin for all those links...they are helpful
    I once asked my Professor the same question and he told me to that the first thing is practice and the second thing is that always try to take out the main words from the text when you are reading ...this is known as skip reading.

4. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

thank you Fergal that was very helpful.

5. imareader4life

imareader4life
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I like the video, the concept is good, but there is more than one way to get there. revitupreading showed me other ways to get there, the person who made the online program also wrote the idiots guide to speed reading.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

http://revitupreading.com, looks like a nice site. At over $200 the online course appears very expensive. However, the books for sale there are much cheaper. Have you used any of their services or books yourself? How did they work out for you?

7. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What worked for me: I read the same magazine articles over and over again to drill myself into picking out the important words until I understood the article without the need to read all the way through. I did this when I was younger and now I never fully read any articles as I scan them. Only when I pick out something relevant do I read in more detail.

8. imareader4life

imareader4life
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes I agree the books are much more inexpensive and the "10 Days" book was my favorite. I got the online program because I was looking for something quick, concise and quality. I Googled speed reading and got a lot of free speed reading techniques but there was a lot and I felt like it would take me months (time I didn't have) to look at all of it . Beale (the author) has 20 years of experience so I went for quality over quantity and it saved me time in the end. On average I double my reading speed and It only took about six hours. In fact for the next week I was speed reading everything, but now I pick and choose what I speed read. I hope this helped.

9. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

what was your new comprehension? I could "read" over 4000 wpm, but have 5% comprehension easily... I want to read faster at least 300-400wpm and have at least 90% comprehension (just reading one time).

10. shubh

shubh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The key to improving our speed is to SIGHT READ, and that's what we are going to show you how to do. We are going to start being pure sight readers. Obstacles get in our way, however. What do we mean by obstacles? Well, these are things that impede us from reading faster. Speed read for main ideas in nonfiction works like how-to books and educational texts. Scan the table of contents and first and last sentences of each paragraph. You'll improve your reading speed and comprehension if you understand a book's structure first.

11. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Practice make perfect.
    There are some method to helps you to read fast but i will always say that practice make perfect, read more and it will increase your reading speed

12. substance

substance
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hey,
    I have a very good reading speed with equal comprehension and I know that it is all because I read a lot from my teenage days, books, novels, magazines, archies comics, newspapers etc.

All I can advice you on this is try to read some novels, magazines, or newspapers and make it a habit which will surely improves your reading speed as well as the comprehensions over time. Don't expect your speeds to rise in an instant but it will gradually increases after some time.

You can easily spot the important points in a whole page of notes without reading all of it , after you have increases your reading+comprehension speeds.good luck!

13. KMRock

KMRock
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Interesting, thanks for the help guys :)

14. angelS

angelS
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Read carefully and daily read at least 2 hours. It will help you for increasing you reading speed.
    But do this work daily. Otherwise no help to you.

15. dahlia84

dahlia84
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Why would one want to increase their speed of reading? I have done comprehending paragraphs during my high school, college & also in the British English Certificate program. I never needed any special accelerated reading talents to pass them. I am just curious, why and who will be needing an accelerated reading talent?

16. skyfire

skyfire
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Paul scheele - double your reading speed is excellent guide. You can buy and download both mp3 and ebook.

17. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've never done a speed reading course even though I read quite a lot. I really enjoy reading and my reading speed is quite good, but I've always had it in the back of my head that I should do a course so that I could read even more. Speed reading would only be of interest to me if my comprehension didn't fall as a result, but it appears that the courses cover that also. There's lots of people like me, who would like to read faster.

18. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Exactly! Totally agree.

I think reading faster and not losing any comprehension, would increase my efficiency. One of my own personal goals to develop my skills is to be as efficient as I possibly can. Reading would do that. For example: I read 60pages in 1 hour, if I increase my reading speed (without losing comprehension) I could read 60pages in a half of an hour (30min). Being faster at anything and doing a very good job, makes you more efficient, which increase productivity.

19. johndale

johndale
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Now it can add up to my reading skills. I will share this with my friends to increase their reading speed. Thanks!