Rates, what do you charge?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by webchalkboard, May 21, 2009.

1. webchalkboard

webchalkboard
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is allowed here, if not please remove, but I'm always wondering what the 'going rates' are for different things online. I hear such a variation in rates, it's really hard to decide what you should charge. Does anyone have any tips about how they work out what to charge clients? Or from a clients perspective, what they are happy paying?

Do you charge on a project basis? Daily? Hourly? Depending on the pockets of the client?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tom

2. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Tom. I think that the best way to know the going rates for different things online is to visit online sites that are offering these services. You might also want to visit the different freelance sites to check out the current rates. We have some of these sites listed down in our Useful Online Business Resources.

3. Hurbel2k

Hurbel2k
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For comparison purposes: I'm a computer science student living in Germany.

I do two types of work

First is translating from English to German. I advertise $US0.03 per word for normal web-texts. Depending on the difficulty of the text, my mood and energy level I earn $US5 to $US10 per hour. However if a client sends me some more difficult work (like a technical manual) I ask for a higher price. For mini-translations like a short advertisement I set a fixed fee, because a per word price doesn't make sense here. The translation itself is fast, but I still have to write an invoice etc.. My translation quality level is above the majority of untrained freelance workers, but it is below someone who studied translations as their major. I'm thinking to increase my rate in autumn a bit, as I get more experienced and feedback so far has always been positive. I want to do a course in this field, because people want to see some certificates once I ask for more than $US 0.03 per word. With my current rate it takes a while to get customers, as my competition offers their work for as low as $US 0.01, but I do offer a free translation of 500 words for new customers, so they can check out my quality for free and it works out for me.

My second work is programming in Java, which I do on a per project basis. By the description of the requirements I can easily calculate the time I need, which is the basis for my price calculations. My minimum rate here is $US 10 per hour, but can increase quite a bit depending on what is to do. Generally speaking programming pays better, but I can only accept those projects, where I already have the knowledge to do them. I want to increase my knowledge in this field, so I can get access to the high paying projects in this field. I work for one client only at the moment, but I'd like to get more in the future.

I also have the "You only pay if You are fully satisfied" policy, which means if the customer is not satisfied he can get back to me and point out where he wants to have some adjustments at no additional fee. Or he can totally back out of the project if he feels my work is not to his standards. So far none of my customers refused payment.

I like to do translations very much, it's a very satisfying work on a personal level. However programming pays much better, so in the long run I will stop translating at some point.

#3 Hurbel2k, May 21, 2009
    Last edited: May 21, 2009
  4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Tom is there any particular types of work that you wish to know the going rates for?

When working out how much to charge per hour, you might want to considerthe following approaches;

1. Have a look at relevant forums and freelancer sites to see what other people are charging and more importantly to get a handle on what clients are prepared to pay. The links in the Webmaster and Trading Forums and Freelance Sites in our Useful Online Business Resources would be a good place to start.

2. Determine what you feel would be a fair salary given your skill levels. You probably already have an idea as to what this should be. If not have a look at http://www.salary.com/ and Dice. Use that salary figure to work out a basic hourly rate and then add something for overhead and profit to get the rate you would charge.
    When calculating your hourly rate it is important to remember that you will not be able to bill for every hour you work. For example you will not bill your clients for the time you spend on marketing and promotion or on office administration. You need to factor these costs into your hourly rate. As an example if you want to earn $400 per week and you work for 50 hours every week but can only bill for 40 hours, you would need to charge $10 per hour, i.e. $400 / 40 = $10.

(Moving thread to Online Business forum!)

5. kingmurtaza196

kingmurtaza196
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am a blog commenter & a forum poster.

My rates for forum posting are 0.15 $ per post . I know it's a bit high but my posts are of quality which others can not provide. My posts consist of 30+ words ! Clients often say that my rates are high but after seeing my work they think that my posts worth this much moneyy !

I am a blog commenter too. My rates are 0.35 $ per blog comment. I have my own bloglist & comment in the blog which have 3+ PR . My rate is cheaper than other because I am new to blog comment & as soon as I again some experience ,I'll increase my rates upto 0.40 $ .

6. webchalkboard

webchalkboard
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Interesting to read, thanks for the replies. I guess I was really interested in web work, programing, design, link building that sort of thing, as that's what I do. But it's all interesting to hear.

@Hurbel2k I don't know what the cost of living is where you are, but $5-$10/hour for translation seems very cheap to me. Also your policy of "You only pay if You are fully satisfied" is a very nice sentiment, I just hope you don't come across someone who really takes advantage. Do you charge in installments? Or once a project is completed?

7. webchalkboard

webchalkboard
    uix_expand uix_collapse

@kingmurtaza196 When you are posting on forums and blogs who are your main clients? Is it for SEO benefit or other reasons? Also do you only find dofollow blogs and forums, or post anywhere... Are you being paid to post here lol? ;)

8. Hurbel2k

Hurbel2k
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You are right, $5 to $10 is not much. Germanys language education is very good, schools have to use native speakers as teachers in language classes, so many students have good skills in one or several foreign languages. However this is also a drawback with everyone being so fluent in at least 1 foreign language, as quite some university students choose translation to support their studies. So there are much more translators than work available on the market, which in the end lowers the salary. But that's a general problem in the translation niche. It's fine for me at the moment, but I'd like to switch to programming only once I finish my studies.

I write invoice per project, after everything is finished. But I definitely prefer long term customers. I have 2 long terms customers at the moment and the work with them is very productive. Never had any problems with the payment so far.

#8 Hurbel2k, May 22, 2009
    Last edited: May 22, 2009
  9. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well here is what I charge and my clients are pretty happy with the rates -
    1 cent per word - content writing
    usd 2 per backlink on high PR sites
    USD 30 per hour for promoting their site/blog manually

10. nbshopper

nbshopper
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That sounds very reasonable, I may have to contact you for some help with our sites :) What kind of high PR sites can you get link backs from? That's certainly very cheap.