Radio vs. newspaper ads

Discussion in 'Traditional Offline Marketing' started by RestOwner, Apr 12, 2010.

1. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Which one reaches more people?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's like asking how long is a piece of string? It really depends on so many variables. An ad on national radio will reach more people than an ad in a small local newspaper. An ad in a small local paper will reach less people than a regular ad on a large national radio station.

If you can be a little more specific with your question we will be able to help you more.

3. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As Fergal says not a question that can be answered as it is stated; part of the issue is what kind of business is it? as this will also have some impact on the best kind of advertising required. Is the business set up to take on extra business than a national ad could potentially generate or is the product / service only locally based etc.... a lot of considerations.

4. telfund

telfund
    uix_expand uix_collapse

newspaper

newspaper for me based on experience

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

telfund, would you mind telling us a little more about that experience, please?

6. Pat Foster

Pat Foster
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Using the radio for publicity

In my experience, radio is a good way to promote a website, but the effect is very short term. Radio may have the same effect on other business, but I don't know.

One advantage of radio is that it may be possible to get free publicity, especially from local talk radio. Think of it this way - the local station has a lot of time to fill. You can just ring them up and ask if you can go on a programme. You will have to talk to somebody who filters people and promise that you will talk about things other than the thing you want to promote. However, you could get an interview slot that allows you to explain how and why you established your business, and then answer questions.

I have had 2 free slots on our local radio to talk about my website www.looklovely.net, both about 20 minutes long. As I said, the effect of the publicity is very short term, but as it was free I thought it worth doing.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for that Pat, it's easy to forget that the media are actively looking for content and stories to write or talk about. This presents a strong opportunity to get good publicity for your business or website, if we take the time and have the confidence to approach the media. This is actually something I plan on doing more of, for Business Advice Forum.

8. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Not sure if I've mentioned AuthorsandExperts before. For a small rate (starts at $14.95 a month) you can have yourself listed there. When the media and freelancers need an expert for a radio talk show or to quote for an article and comes looking, there you are in their searchable directory. If you're comfortable with the talk show medium and either based stateside (or if you're not, willing to get up at odd hours to accommodate interview times) it could be a great platform. Most of the shows are in the US from what I've glanced at which is why I say that. They also list you as an available speaker if you're happy to do that too.

This is one form of promotion that requires minimal upkeep after you join and fill in your information for your profile. The media contacts that have expressed an interest in your subject matter are also notified when you sign up and have the option to place want ads that are sent on to suitable members.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Are you a member there yourself Kay? Have you received much publicity from them?

10. VJDMorrey

VJDMorrey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Radio is a great media for building brands and reputations, just look at Carphone Warehouse, who built their business totally on radio.

It's a long-term commitment for anybody though and not just a one week thing. It's also something whereby you shouldn't just do it as an offer-led thing, such as you may want to do in the press. Similarly on radio, you would be the only business of your type played in any one break, as opposed to the press where you generally go on a page alongside numerous others of a similar style of business.

If you have a good Sales Executive, they will work with you to maximise the impact of a campaign whilst staying within your budget. A truly great Sales Exec will also have the backbone to also tell you that your budget isn't great enough to make a decent campaign, and to think again.

I would choose radio over press any day, but be sure to work with the station concerned to build the best campaign that your money can make.

VM

11. kristenspring

kristenspring
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think its much better to promote business through newspaper than radio. Since radio way expensive (i guess) yet the time of airing is way shorter than newspaper. Unlike newspaper some people read late issues and about % or population around US read newspaper. And for me I guess its better to go with newspaper.

12. michman

michman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Personally, I think newspaper since that's what I use more of those two.
    Globally, I'm not sure though. Even smaller radio stations might reach out other countries, which isn't the fact for small newspapers.

If I were you, I would go for the newspaper (depending on your product..). Make sure the ad layout is as good as it gets.

13. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've not used them from the member side myself Fergal but I have from the media side when I needed quotes for articles. It's very handy when you need someone to say a few words quick or express an opinion. Members are open to small stuff like that too. I have no affiliation with them apart from that: I just think it's a cool resource. I would use it myself if I'd written a book of my own for example.

14. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Advertising in these two medias depends on which is your target market or your current budget for the said advertisement. Both medias have ups and downs.

For example, newspapers lasts for a day (or a couple of days depending on the reader) and your advertisement might be seen as long as the newspaper is readable. The downside, most people now rely on television and internet for news and current affairs so you might not get the results you want.

On radio, your product can gain more exposure if yo have a good and catchy jingles. Jingles are the one that can get your target market get interested on your product. It should be catchy so it can easily be remembered.

15. henderson791

henderson791
    uix_expand uix_collapse

newspaper is the best way to advertise

16. mark1234

mark1234
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i think the radio era has passed now..

but a large majority of people still tend to read news papers..therefore i think news papers are a better option..

17. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

definitely newspaper. i guess people don't regularly listen to radios

18. VJDMorrey

VJDMorrey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Radio v Newspapers

Half of the UK population listens to UK Commercial Radio each day.

Local newspapers (the ones that you would generally advertise your business in) had seen circulation fall dramatically in the last decade. Many local papers have gone out of business and nightly local papers have reduced their runs to a few days or nights a week.

If you are serious about building a brand and a reputation for your business, you get more for your money through radio.

If you want a 'one hit' kind of campaign, then you may want to go down the Press route.

It's generally about how sophisticated one is as a business owner I guess and how we see our business developing. I always look at the 'big picture' personally.

I don't like to use 'dead trees' to get my message across.

VM

19. Tejmal

Tejmal
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Depends if it is local, regional or national. I would say newspaper but it depends on your audience and who you are marketing to.

20. Bubblez

Bubblez
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's a tough one. I mean, I personally don't read the newspaper or listen to the radio that much. So, I can't really even tell you what would reach me more lol