"Quit Smoking" Tips

Discussion in 'Articles & Tutorials' started by Shivam, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Shivam

Shivam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

START PLAN

S = Set a quit date.

T = Tell family, friends, and co-workers that you plan to quit.

A = Anticipate and plan for the challenges you'll face while quitting.

R = Remove cigarettes and other tobacco products from your home, car, and work.

T = Talk to your doctor about getting help to quit.

TIPS TO DEAL WITH CRAVINGS :

Stay active: Keep yourself distracted and occupied, go for walks.
    Keep your hands/fingers busy: Squeeze balls, pencils, or paper clips are good substitutes to satisfy that need for tactile stimulation.
    Keep your mind busy: Read a book or magazine, listen to some music you love.
    Find an oral substitute: Keep other things around to pop in your mouth when you’re craving a cigarette.
    Good choices include mints, hard candy, carrot or celery sticks, gum, and sunflower seeds.
    Drink lots of water: Flushing toxins from your body minimizes withdrawal symptoms and helps cravings pass faster.

THERAPIES AND EXERCISES INVOLVED?

Medication therapy
    Smoking cessation medications can ease withdrawal symptoms and reduce cravings, and are most effective when used as part of a comprehensive stop smoking program monitored by your physician. Talk to your doctor about your options and whether an anti-smoking medication is right for you. U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved options are:

Nicotine Replacement Therapy

Nicotine replacement therapy involves "replacing" cigarettes with other nicotine substitutes, such as nicotine gum or a nicotine patch. It works by delivering small and steady doses of nicotine into the body to relieve some of the withdrawal symptoms without the tars and poisonous gases found in cigarettes. This type of treatment helps smokers focus on breaking their psychological addiction and makes it easier to concentrate on learning new behaviors and coping skills.

Non-Nicotine Medication

These medications help you stop smoking by reducing cravings and withdrawal symptoms without the use of nicotine. Medications such as bupropion (Zyban) and varenicline (Chantix) are intended for short-term use only.

Non-medication therapies
    There are several things you can do to stop smoking that don’t involve nicotine replacement therapy or prescription medications: Ask your doctor for a referral or see Resources and References below for help finding qualified professionals in each area.

Hypnosis

A popular option that has produced good results. Forget anything you may have seen from stage hypnotists, hypnosis works by getting you into a deeply relaxed state where you are open to suggestions that strengthen your resolve to quit smoking and increase your negative feelings toward cigarettes.

Acupuncture

One of the oldest known medical techniques, acupuncture is believed to work by triggering the release of endorphins (natural pain relievers) that allow the body to relax. As a smoking cessation aid, acupuncture can be helpful in managing smoking withdrawal symptoms.

Behavioral Therapy

Nicotine addiction is related to the habitual behaviors (the “rituals”) involved in smoking. Behavior therapy focuses on learning new coping skills and breaking those habits.

Motivational Therapies

Self-help books and websites can provide a number of ways to motivate yourself to quit smoking. One well known example is calculating the monetary savings. Some people have been able to find the motivation to quit just by calculating how much money they will save. It may be enough to pay for a summer vacation.

WHAT YOU WILL GAIN AFTER QUITTING ? :)

I will feel healthier and have more energy, whiter teeth, and fresher breath.
    I will lower my risk for cancer, heart attacks, strokes, early death, cataracts, and skin wrinkling.
    I will make myself and my partner, friends, and family proud of me :)
    I will no longer expose my children and others to the dangers of my second-hand smoke.
    I will have a healthier baby (If you or your partner is pregnant) :)
    I will have more money to spend.
    I won't have to worry: "When will I get to smoke next?"

TIPS FOR PARENTS OF TEEN SMOKERS :

Try to avoid threats and ultimatums. Find out why your teen is smoking; he or she may want to be accepted by a peer group, or want your attention. Talk about what changes can be made in his or her life to help them stop smoking.
    Be patient and supportive as your child goes through the quitting process.
    Set a good example for your kids by not smoking yourself. Parents who smoke are more likely to have children who smoke.
    Know if your children have friends that smoke. Talk with your kids about ways to refuse a cigarette.
    Explain the health dangers, as well as the unpleasant physical aspects of smoking (such as bad breath, discolored teeth and nails).
    Establish a smoke-free policy in your home. Don't allow anyone to smoke indoors at any time.

SAY NO TO SMOKING :D:D

2. Shivam

Shivam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The chewing gum helps in leaving the smoking habit. Chewing gums keep your mouth busy and you are less diverted towards smoking.

3. simojohn258

simojohn258
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Drinking water and keep your hand busy and also eat candy and chewing gum to keep your mouth busy it will help. But you have shared very nice information and quit smoking is not easy you have to divert your mind .

4. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have heard about this method. As for a smoker, he needs something in his mouth. Chew gum chewing can reduce the intake of cigarettes.

5. zunick

zunick
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Really useful tips to anyone who wants to quit smoking , great work keep posting like this .

6. Aiplabro

Aiplabro
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Very interesting......Quite Smote
    I know Chewing gum and candy's help you out but one thing you may want to remove that is your friend circle yes that's your smoker circle, If you are with those guys then you watch him and one time you loose your passions and then you smoke......So my advice is use your mind and avoid those friends........

7. Maik619

Maik619
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You need willpower. I am not a smoker but my dad used to be. One day he just took his cigars and trowed them in the fire. He hasn't been smoking since. And if I remember right he was a smoker for like 8 years.

8. janecristy

janecristy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

"Smoking is injurious to health" is a very common slogan and everybody does know it well and it is the fact. I cannot understand why smoking people not love their health. Why they become so habitual to the habit ignoring their health. It contains tobacco with nicotine that can cause cancer in most of tobacco smokers. They also face respiratory problems. Health is the most valuable gift from nature to us and we must take care of it. We should quit smoking if we are habitual for it, otherwise, after a certain period of time we will have to face fetal disorders.

I am not a smoker, but know taste of smoking through passive smoking and i got headache immediately, what happen to smokers, I do not know. It is fun for them. Every good wisher of them will suggest to quit smoking, however, some of them quit smoking till they get a big issue regarding their health.
    I would like to say that people should quit smoking as soon as possible if they love their environment and get oxygen through respiration, along with good wishers and relatives plus friends.

9. sanjuk61

sanjuk61
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great nice tips.