Quifoo Webmaster Blog

Discussion in 'Website & Graphic Reviews' started by Volux, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Volux

Volux
    uix_expand uix_collapse

2. JamesD31

JamesD31
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Um, first look, aka design, I would say I like the colors first off. Though, I think you shouldn't have the space between the navigation bars and your content and your header, make them all connected; it'll look better.

Though, I do think it does look like a great design for a great blog. Keep up the good work.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The blog looks great Volux, very professional in my opinion. Some additional observations below;

• It would probably help to use search engine friendly URLs. You can add them using WordPress PermaLinks in your blog's admin area.
    • There is an image not displaying correctly in the header, to the right of the logo. It links to your Advertising page.
    • People who submit blog posts to your blog, will be hoping to get something in return. You might mention in your "Write for Us" page, that post writers can include a link back to their site.
    Overall the blog looks great and I wish you good luck with it.

P.s. you might want to add a link back to your blog, from the @quifoo profile on Twitter.

4. Volux

Volux
    uix_expand uix_collapse

@James - Not sure about changing that space.

@Fergal - Well I am going to add the permalinks, thanks for that. What browser are you using so I can see the out-of-place image for myself. Or send a screenshot would be okay as well.

5. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Here's my review on your blog:
    Your blog really looks cool. I like its design and the color scheme. It looks professional.
    Like James have said, the spacing between your header, content and sidebar seems to be very short. You may want it to increase a little bit especially with your sidebar and content.

Does your "Read More" work? The content on your homepage is similar on it's permalink. You may want to fix that so that only an excerpt will show on your homepage. Having summaries or excerpt on the homepage saves space and prevent the page to be extended downward. Plus, it can give you more page views.

I also suggest you to add a widget like Related post below each page, just before the comments section.

Fergal, it's just an image telling: Your Ad Here.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Volux I'm using Google Chrome.

7. brata

brata
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i don't know if it's just me, but on first load it hangs for maybe 4-5 seconds.

8. Volux

Volux
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My host stinks. Not 100% how to transfer..I know kind of. But sort of difficult.

9. JamesD31

JamesD31
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can always contact the new host you get, they usually provide free transfers and help.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The "Your Ad Here" banner is displaying fine for me now.

As JamesD31 said, lots of hosts will transfer your sites to your hosting account, on their servers free of charge.

11. Volux

Volux
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Alright thanks, I will see to it.

12. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The "Your Ad Here" banner is hosted via free hosting, ImageShack.
    I, too frequently, am having problems in loading images coming from Imageshack.

13. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Volux, if you're having problems with imageshack, why don't you just upload it to your images file in your Wordpress directory and link to that? It's not like that would use a huge amount of bandwidth.

It's always risky not keeping such images on your own site because you run into problems like that. I had an old forum where I loaded up images to an external image host and they shut down the account because I wasn't using it much - without any notice I might add. It completely screwed up posts on my forum because I didn't get the chance to save the images either and upload them elsewhere. Anything as important as part of your layout isn't worth risking.

BTW, your site took about 10 seconds to load for me and still didn't display right. I was using FF.

[​IMG]

14. Volux

Volux
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I was currently switching hosts. I have fixed everything, and this should now run fine.

15. mv5869

mv5869
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For me it loaded very quickly now. Just out of interest which host did you switch from and to. It has clearly made a huge improvement to load times. I'm interested because I was having the same problems. I would recommend to anyone starting out to really research the hosting right at the start. I made the mistake to go with a cheap (actually free) one to start with but moving my blogs afterwards was a nightmare!

Overall the blog looks good. The permalinks (mentioned by others) are important but I can see you have done that now.

The only other thing I would recommend is putting your RSS feed through Feedburner. It only takes a few minutes (go to feedburner.com) and then you can redirect all the RSS feed links on your site via Feedburner using the WP Feedburner plugin. Its much more user friendly than Wordpress's own RSS.

Good luck with the site

16. Volux

Volux
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks mv5869.
    I used to be on a Post2Host site, with only ONE server, and a lot of sites. So I switched to webhostingfox.com (if you go there, make sure you say I referred you if you can!!).
    (BTW: They have excellent support).

I will check out Feedburner as well.

17. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I hate to tell you but it's down completely now. I'm getting a can't find server message. Of course it could just be my bad timing and you're doing some more work on it today. :)

18. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's working fine on my side Kay.

BTW Volux, are you planning on putting the "summary of your posts" on your homepage?
    It's to prevent the page from stretching downward and leaving long and empty sidebar.

19. Volux

Volux
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If only I could get excerpts to work for me. I think I know how to do excerpts, but still working on trying to figure it out.

And on the downtime, yes..sometimes my host has downtime.

20. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member