Questions You Need To Ask Before Hiring Any Digital Marketing Agency

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by Alan Ron, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Alan Ron

Alan Ron
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Selecting the best digital marketing agency for your business is one of the crucial steps for your online promotion. Here are a few tips which are helpful in this process.

Question 1: What is your online experience?

Question 2: Do you have any clients like me?

Question 3: What are your success stories or biggest achievements?

Question 4: What is your reporting and client handling strategy?

Question 5: Who will manage my campaign?

Question 6: What is your fees and contract structure?

Although there can be so many other than this. All suggestions are welcome ....

2. Benedict Tadman

Benedict Tadman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello Alan,

Good question list for hiring digital marketing agency..

Here some other list:

1) Tell me about a project that didn’t work out, and what you did about it.
    2) In addition to current clients, can you provide a few former clients as references?
    3) Do you promise for any results? What happens if those results are not attained?

3. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

There have been a few lists of questions written to guide people on how to hire a digital marketing agency, and like those, this list has some that are helpful, and some that are not. For example, Question 2 may not apply to most agencies. The best have clients in a variety of industries, and have successfully helped the majority of them. For question 3, reputable agencies can give you examples of what they have done, and can provide you with references at the proper point in the process. For question 5, they will probably not know the answer until you become a client, and your campaign is assigned.

Here I wonder how helpful these questions would be. Question 1 might be helpful to judge their customer service skills, but is not really necessary. For question 2, as I said above, a reputable agency can provide you with references at the proper point in the process, but be careful not to ask too early. Their clients have businesses of their own, so they want to make sure there is a sincere interest in their services before giving out references. The only reason for question 3 is to see if they are reputable. If they answer "yes" to the first part, they are not reputable, and there is no reason to ask the second. Just say goodbye, and hang up.

4. shomoji_21

shomoji_21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is a great post and good question. I think it comes down to what your budget is and what results you expect. Hiring a marketing agency means you get to tap into their already established network, which accelerates the growth of your business, but this comes at a huge cost. Personally I like to focus more on generating my own leads and the traditional avenue, though it works is a long process. Networking and etc. just doesn't appeal to me that much but, I do like to leverage word of mouth advertising. There are many methods of doing this online with blogs, guest blogging, social media, and I have found these to be quite successful. Since social media is such a big part of our lives I focus on leveraging this more than traditional marketing avenues. Connect with social influencers is pretty tough but I found this service called PalmPons that does this pretty efficiently. They incentivize the sharing experience for social influencers and the cool thing is I don't have to worry about the time consuming process of connecting with people to share my products or services. Time is money in business and if you are working with limited resources you have to be creative in your approach to building awareness.

5. stevepalladous

stevepalladous
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I just wanted to add some depth to this point since I think it's nuanced and the thread is about 'digital marketing' not just SEO. I would imagine that 99% of SEO companies offering guaranteed no 1 spots are 'not reputable' so you're spot on.

In other marketing cases some guarantees might be perfectly reasonable. For example say I worked with a really similar client (a pest control firm in a different town) and ran a paid advertising campaign with a target of 20 leads per week... I could reasonably 'guarantee' 10 per month for the new client with some kind of performance penalty if failing to offer the client some protection without making any unreasonable promises.

Indeed whenever we sell leads we do have a minimum performance clause to give the clients comfort that in the event there's a bad month we'll make up the shortfall or refund part of the money if it happens to occur on the last month of a contract.

6. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

It may be possible to reasonably "guarantee" a certain number of leads, but I have seen people say things like "I need to increase my website traffic to 5000/month in a couple of months" and no one can guarantee that. I do not mean to paint everybody with a "broad brush". but there are people and/or agencies that will make what you referred to as "unreasonable promises" by telling the prospect what they want to here in order to gain a new client. Instead of them having a "performance penalty", they will come up with all kinds of excuses why what they promised didn't happen.
    As far as selling leads, that's not what a digital marketing agency does. An offline agency that "sells leads" can actually sell a "mailing list" that is as long as the client wants. The only guarantee they offer is that the addresses are legitimate, and if some pieces come back as undeliverable, they will be replaced. An online agency that "sells leads" only has to deliver email addresses to the client, or traffic to their website, and as long as the quantity is correct, their job is done. A digital marketing agency should never refer to what they do as "selling leads". What they do is sell marketing campaigns that, if designed properly, can bring several prospects to their clients business, but cannot guarantee the amount.