Questions Re Forums as a Business

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by pratibha, Sep 1, 2013.

1. pratibha

pratibha
    uix_expand uix_collapse

there are many types of business in the world, what type of business is 'forums'?am i right in determining forums as business?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

For some people running one particular forum could be their business. For others a forum could be part of their business, e.g. a shoe manufacturing business could own a shoe forum and use it to promote their own brand of shoes.

Does that answer your question pratibha?

3. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

In this case, wouldn't a blog be a better choice than a forum? A shoe business could be one section of a forum on fashion, perhaps, but would there really be enough interest to devote an entire forum to them? I would think the subject of "shoes" would be too narrow to sustain an entire forum. On the other hand, a marketing consultant could own a forum to discuss different types of marketing. In that case, it could be his/her entire business.

4. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are various kind of forums based on different topics. The purpose of a forum would depend upon one's objectives. For someone it could be a form of business while it may simply be a place to share and discuss something about a particular product or service.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I just mentioned shoes because it was the first thing that came into my head. However, I've often been surprised at how large a forum can become, that is focused on a really specific topic. Staying with the shoe example here is a really large one completely dedicated to shoes http://solecollector.com/forums/.

6. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

My bad - There actually is an entire forum dedicated to shoes. To be fair, however, the forum is part of a larger website owned by a magazine devoted to shoe collecting. In answer to the pratibha's original question, the forum itself is not a business.

However, with ads and other paid features, possibly including membership fees, a forum actually could be a business.