Questions about owning a night club

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by nzoLogic, Nov 2, 2011.

1. nzoLogic

nzoLogic
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi guys, I was wondering some advice and answers. I'm 19 years old and want to eventually open a nightclub in charleston, sc. I was wondering if you had to be 21 to get the licensing to own such a place. Feedback would be greatly appreciated!

2. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

19 years of age is enough to own and operate a bar as long as you can pay taxes and can present legal papers but this is just what i know though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,I also think that 19 years old can have its own permit to have its own business.Secure all the legal papers and work for it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I found the Small Business Charleston Resource Network, which has a phone number you can call to answer any questions you may have. You can find it by clicking here.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Daftblogger

Daftblogger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi nzoLogic,
    I have had little experience in the nightclub business and I can tell you that it can get you in trouble very easily. The main two problems are:
    1)Pushers (drugs)
    2)Minors (alcohol, drugs...)
    If they are caught inside your club part of the responsibility is yours. In my opinion it is a bit risky for a guy of your age to start such business, unless you have a partner with experience in the field - an experienced barman is not enough but someone who has managed nightclubs in the past only can know certain things. I would advice you to start organizing party's by renting clubs& djs. Doing this you will easily learn the risks and how to dodge them off.

• Like Like x 1
  6. nzoLogic

nzoLogic
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I personally DJ some bars out in columbia right now and I've also dabbed a bit in promo parties and special events. I'm personally just tired of living off of my parents money and started to get interested in the nightlife business. I was looking for some feedback

7. Daftblogger

Daftblogger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Keeping the work clean requires people whom you can trust blindly, trust is build with time and I think you are too young to have worked with someone for long enough as to be sure about their trustfulness.

As for my suggestion, let me explain myself better. You rent a club/bar/building for one night, call a DJ and a barman. Let's say you pay £100 the DJ, £100 the barman and £1000 for the local. Use facebook and your social connections to let others know about your event. The income from entry tickets and alcoholics should exceed the expenditures by a great amount. This way it will be much easier for you to avoid trouble and gain experience. You don't need to own a building to do this and you need a smaller starting capital.

8. jcworlditsme

jcworlditsme
    uix_expand uix_collapse

19 should be fine, best of luck to you!

9. Shahrier

Shahrier
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well first of all, you need money. You need to be able to get a license and do all the legal work. With the money, you need to buy some space or a store area in a good location in order for you to be successful. Hiring security guards would very wise as it can get pretty rough in a club. Getting a doorman that checks for ID if you're not old enough is needed. You need a DJ and some good equipment for nice entertainment. If you're thinking of an explicit club, it would also be a good idea to hire those type of entertainers.

10. mvh

mvh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I suggest that you watch Bar Rescue from Spike TV on pointers for bars for your nightclubs. Martin Webb started out his career in the night club scene. I have his book and watched Risking It All from BBC. Besides this reading/watching material. The best would be is to talk to an existing night-club owner (not one in your area - for obvious reasons) and ask advice from him/her.

11. MrPolarZero

MrPolarZero
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think 19 is fine. A perfect business for young people. Owning a night club was also my dream business but got stuck with online marketing and web designing.. Still happy though. :)

12. td2011

td2011
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's fair enough, you're just fed up of living off your parents. I started working when I was just fifteen years old because I felt the same way. So you've started djing and like the environment? working in bars and restaurants can be really great, full of energy, but very exhausting at the same time. Whatever you decide to do, good luck

#12 td2011, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011