Questions about online store

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by JohnLee Pettimore, Aug 31, 2010.

1. JohnLee Pettimore

JohnLee Pettimore
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ok, I am 18 years old and I am looking to start my first online store. I have experiance with E-bay and Craigslist but never my own store. What is the best way to do e-commerce? Is Pay-pal a good way?

2. Kevin C

Kevin C
    uix_expand uix_collapse

JohnLee,

As far as the technical requirement is concerned Paypal is not a bad way to go. If you look at hosting your e-commerce store at a hosting company it will free your time from having to deal with technical concerns i.e. buying a server, configuring software and hardware and dealing with bandwith issues.

Work up your pricing model before you begin and ensure that the extra costs from the service providers don't eat into your profit margin.

When you gain more sales volume you may want to revisit your setup periodically to see if there are more cost-effective ways of doing business - i.e. setting up merchant accounts directly with Visa, Mastercard etc.

Just my 2 cents!

Kevin

3. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The 'best' way will be specific to your location, products and target market. So no easy answer there.

Paypal is a good start, it's a relatively trusted system, but does have some draw backs or limitations. For example, here in Ireland, paypal doesn't accept payments via Laser (a very common form of debit card used here). This means that a business only processing transactions via Paypal are instantly limiting their market. Issues such as this will depend on your location and the location of your target customers.

To work around this, most companies here (eventually) go down the route of merchant accounts and payment systems through the likes of realex. To do this, you need to figure out if the increased volume of sales (due to being available to a larger target market) offsets the additional costs (in terms of putting the system in place [higher development costs/time costs], merchant banking fees, realex fees, etc.). The banks can also be restrictive on opening merchant accounts (commonly requiring 6 to 12 months of trading figures), so this option may not be available to you at the moment in any case.

If you're looking to make a 'step up', but don't see major value in having your own websites at the moment, you could look at something like setting up a Facebook shop front as an interim step. Here, you still have a 'unique' address for all of your products that you control, but with significantly lower requirements in terms of building your own structure. There are many e-commerce solutions that you could build your shop front around, significantly lowering the outlay to start while still giving you more freedom than ebay/craigslist to expand.

4. WebWizard

WebWizard
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You would use Paypal as a payment gateway.
    I do setup custom store designs & ecommerce script systems.

Usually $150 - $300 depending on your budget.
    Theres alot included, its better to get things done the right way to avoid issues later.

Any help or consultation you need feel free to contact me!

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our business forum JohnLee Pettimore and thanks for posting your questions.

You will find some useful suggestions and resources in the threads listed in the E-Commerce section of our Featured Website Development, E-Commerce & Making Money Online Threads.

You could ease your way into having your own ecommerce store by building your first store on eBay or on something like Yahoo Merchant Services.

6. MichaelSullivan

MichaelSullivan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, Paypal works great. And Fergal is absolutely right. You can try it first with Ebay or others.

7. landau

landau
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just curious: what is your product?

8. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

May we know what are your experiences on ebay? Do you regularly buy off stuffs there?

Regarding the product you want to sell, it really depends on your knowledge.
    Selling a product in which you have a good knowledge leads to a higher success rate than selling one which you don't know about.
    You can still use the eBay system before switching into a custom one since it's easier to manage. In this way, you can link up your Paypal account to your eBay account so that all the payments made on the items you are selling will go directly on your account.

9. chemicals

chemicals
    uix_expand uix_collapse

for me,I like shopping online.cuz prices on it r so favorable.just make sure the qualilty is good.that's ok.online store is a long-time business,u need to keep on it.

10. chloe_wong

chloe_wong
    uix_expand uix_collapse

if you want to run your own website, it's suggested that you learn some knowledge of SEO at first.

11. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

To be honest, SEO is not the very first thing one should know if they want to have their own site.
    It's HTML, a few graphic design. and site management. :)

12. tom554

tom554
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If i was you, i would go to template monster, look for an osCommerce template that you like the design of, buy it, install it and start selling. Maximum investment. $100.

13. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I wouldn't really suggests investing this large money, on just a template, on your first try. Go to a step by step process before going into this thing,
    Selling online is not an easy thing to do. You need to think of the right products to sell before everything else.