Question regarding backlinks.

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by JBMedia, Jun 24, 2011.

1. JBMedia

JBMedia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I was curious and wondering if anyone knew if there was a tool out there somewhere that could tell you how good a backlinks worth is based on the site it would be given from. If anyone knows of any tools like this could you please point me in the right direction?

Thank you :)

2. Joel

Joel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You mean if you're trying to buy advertising and want to know how much its worth to buy a link spot at the website is?

3. JBMedia

JBMedia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I guess I worded that bad. I haven't been in the online game for a while, but back in the day backlinks that helped you were high PR site backlinks. I'm not sure if that's still the same deal or not. So I guess my question is, is there a tool that can lead you to PR Backlink sites that would be good and relative to your site, or is it all still based on research?

4. Joel

Joel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Na, you didn't worded that bad, it was just my poor misinterpretation... And not necessarily high PR sites means good backlinks. And i haven't come to a tooal like that before, and even if i do, i don't think it would be as powerful as going research on your own as you know what's best for you and your website. But i think some other members of the BAF might know.

all the best JBMedia :)

5. karoshio

karoshio
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I wouldn't say there is a cool for exactly that but obviously the higher the PR the better so you can always use a PR checker or something.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Something else you could do is use tools to find out where your top competitors are getting their backlinks. This will give you a good indication of the type of sites that would be likely to link to you. Ahrefs.com could help you with that.

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Definitely, high PageRank sites can help you gain PR Juice to increase your own PageRank. Basically, it will be based on your own research.
    You could check out some relative keywords to your site's niche and do it from there. You can also try the help of Google BlogSearch in finding similar sites.

In my own understanding, any backlink will be worth it depending on which site it is posted or link. There's no useless backlink.

My question now, will you make more importance to getting a PageRank rather than traffic? What's the use of having a high PR site without any regular traffic?

8. JBMedia

JBMedia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well doesn't having a high Page Rank help with regarding search engine ratings? If so, wouldn't this inevitably drive more traffic to your site? I plan on focusing mainly on traffic of course, however, I'd like to have a nice piece of pie from every sector possible if you get what I'm saying.

9. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There's a couple of different answers to this one, depending on just how detailed you wish to get.

1) Sure, high PR links are still good for passing authority.

2) Google themselves are trying to push users away from the over emphasis on PR and as a result are updating it less frequently meaning that as poor a measure as it used to be it's even less meaningful now. If you want to gain a more up to date measure of how authorative a link might be you're probably better using a (well respected and relatively well correlated) 3rd party measure to assess links (my own suggestion would be to utilise SEOmoz's Page Authority and Domain Authority stats, which are about as accurate as any [publicly] available in the industry at the moment).

3) Measuring a link purely on page stats or domain stats is showing a small part of the picture and you need to take a far more holistic view to truly measure how beneficial a link may be. Even the most accurate stats (relatively speaking) can be gamed and while the numbers might be good, the site itself could be questionable. Consider the theme of the page, the theme of the domain, how targeted the traffic will be, how trusted the site is (both in terms of the visible authority and a subjective review of the site yourself and the activities they undertake), etc. etc.. There's no magic bullet and no way to be sure without putting in some leg work.

• Like Like x 3
  10. JBMedia

JBMedia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you paul, that's great advise. I will make sure to implement when I work on building my backlinks towards my page.

11. Hulbert Lee

Hulbert Lee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Download SEO for Firefox. It will show you everything you need to know about the site and from there you can determine the value of back links you can expect to get within the site.

12. JBMedia

JBMedia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is there any type of plug-in like this for Google Chrome that you know of? Unfortunately I am not a Firefox user as of recent times.

13. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There was a site that I used to use. It looked for websites that had page rank and were relevant to the keywords that you provided them with.
    It was all automatically generated and it was actually a pretty useful tool because it would also submit your sites to those for backlinks.
    I can't for the life of me figure out what that site was though. lol

14. JBMedia

JBMedia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well in case you do remember Jerlene, I would appreciate it if you pointed me in its direction.
    Thanks

15. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Basically I will check on
    1. The site's content to ensure at least the site content is unique.
    2. High pr but no drop domain or fake pr
    3. Related niche (at least must have some related keywords)
    4. Whether they are dofollow ( not necessary to be dofollow but better to be dofollow)
    5. Low OBL (link farm never help)

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I use Google Chrome over 90% of the time, actually probably 99% of the time. However, I also have FireFox installed on my PC and I use it when I want to use the excellent range of SEO tools that are available on it. It's very easy to have both browsers and just use FF as and when it suits your requirements.

• Like Like x 1
  17. JBMedia

JBMedia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good point Fergal. I'll start doing that.

18. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Pretty much what I do too, very useful.

19. DaveCain

DaveCain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

To determine whether a backlink is any good you need to look at the following factors:

Domain
    Relevance
    Trust
    Authority
    Surrounding content / links