Question re reciprocal links?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Fergal, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

My understanding is that Google look negatively on reciprocal links, because they are not natural and can artificially influence the search results.

Supposing there is a site that I like and that I visit regularly. I decide to link to that site, because I like it and I feel that visitors to my site would also like it and benefit from the link.

The owner of the site then sees that I link to his site. He is grateful for the link and he also feels that my site would be useful to his visitors, which is not unlikely if we target the same type of visitor but run different types of sites. As a result, he decides to link back to my site and now we have reciprocal links. All of this is natural and it is not done to cheat the search engines in any way.

Assuming that both sites in this situation are quality, non-spammy sites my question is, will Google penalize either of our sites, because of the reciprocal links?

Thanks!

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Links can come from anyone, anywhere. Because of the sheer quantity of people using the Internet, and the large quantity and variety of websites, occasionally you will get a few links that appear to violate Google's Guidelines, and I'm sure Google knows this. On the other hand, if it appears to Google that you are deliberately flaunting the rules, such as a large quantity of the same type of link, or getting a large quantity of links from the same type of website, then you may have a problem. A single link from a single site that links back to you, or a small quantity of reciprocal links, should not cause a problem.
    I would also like to address the other members as well - please do not ask how many you can have before it raises a "red flag". There is no set amount. As long as the majority of your link profile looks natural, and you do not deliberately break the rules, you should be fine.

One question for Fergal:

Is there a possibility that BAF could be a spammy site :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: ?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks joeroxx, that's helpful.

I hope not :)

4. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you see there are many big sites that have footer links to other sites and at times their partner sites. If the site is relevant and the links are limited then there should be any problem with the reciprocal links.

5. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with joreroxx, I have witnessed this. They use 2 sites to link build. It causes to increase their backlinks. I have found such sites on the Page # 1 on SERP.

6. Multima$tery

Multima$tery
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just use common sense with your linkbuilding. It is perfectly ok to do natural linkbuilding of any kind, reciprocal or non-reciprocal. As long as it's not overdone and it adds value to your visitors then it's a good thing. Don't be that afraid to promote your website, it's really not that serious.

7. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Who uses two sites? Which site are you referring to?

8. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I hope he is not referring to building another site with the intention of sending links to the first site. This would probably be "flaunting the rules", as I mentioned in my previous post. At the very least it is a questionable practice. It may give a temporary boost, but is not sustainable. You're better off getting links from existing sites, not creating sites for the purpose of getting links from them. As Fergal said, both sites should be quality, non-spammy sites.

9. AmbitiousStudent

AmbitiousStudent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm sure its fine if you had a couple of link exchanges but make sure they are of high quality. Google will start getting suspicious if you have link exchanges twice a week or so. Also if every link is to the same url i.e the homepage then this will only slim your chances of getting away with it. Google loves variety because variety means work.

In my opinion I wouldn't worry about a one-off reciprocal link as this happens thousands of times with relevant websites.

10. vincevirzi

vincevirzi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

AS long as the information from your site is relevant and you're linking back to his or her site, vice versa, you're fine. Google does not mind these types of links as long as the visitor is clicking on a link that is relevant to the information they're viewing. If you have a financial site and then you have a reciprocal link going to a cooking site it will give you no link value. If you want to target similar sites for these types of links make sure they're at least PR 3 and above.

11. abhi_garg

abhi_garg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

reciprocal links are for getting SEO benefits be load of anchor texts, but in this case you both creating links naturally and it would be like nude url or click here or visit here type that a sign of natural links.. So you are doing awesome.. NO SPAM

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I wouldn't necessarily place the link like that. For example, if I was linking to a business blog from here on BAF, I would probably use the anchor text "Business Blog".

13. zeropid

zeropid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That is the process you do not control at all. That could be done by your competitors.