Question re Guest Posting and Paid Article Writing?

Discussion in 'Content Marketing' started by Fergal, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

When people write a guest post for a blog or get paid to write an article for a website who usually comes up with the subject and title of the article? Is it the person writing the content or the website / blog owner?

2. eurekapsycrille

eurekapsycrille
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It depends on the negotiation. But most often customers always give the subject and the writer will come up with a title for paid article writing. For guest post, the title will depend on the subject of the blog.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MoneyTrack

MoneyTrack
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah it really depends. For my blog, if I have a guest blogger that is an expert in the field, I will let them choose the article. Of course it has to fit the scope of my blog and be approved. If I'm hiring someone, I usually give them a short list of topics to choose from and let them go from there.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for your replies, that's helpful. Sounds like it depends on the individual blog owner and post writer - sometimes it's the guest poster who comes up with the title and sometimes it's the blog owner.

5. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, I think it would be better if the blog owner sets a title for the post or content. However, the blog owner should also allow the person to write the content to suggest their own title. This leads to better options when deciding what title to use for the content.

Regards,
    Mark T.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Am I correct in thinking that you have written guest post for blogs yourself Mark T? Was it the blog owner who decided on the title when you were writing articles and posts?

7. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, some do let the guest poster decide on what title they will use, as long as it is relative to the topic. While some have already set a title for their content, only waiting for some guest blogger to create the content for them.

Yeah I had a few but those were all my titles. They do review it and they notify me when they have problems either on my title or the content itself.
    What I like most when guest posting is knowing that the blog owner does not automatically sets to live all the posts sent to him or her. Undergoing pending status may mean the blog owner is carefully reviewing the guest post, which is somehow a good sign.

• Like Like x 1
  8. pete.mcal

pete.mcal
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think in most guest posting cases it's the writer who comes up with the subject matter/title etc. (at least from my experience this is the way things are done). Most blog/site owners know that giving writers creative freedom will produce the best results; especially if the writer is knowledgeable in the subject matter at hand.

However if you were having a writer produce content for your site on a paid basis then I would dictate the topic. This way you can fill in the gaps in your site and target specific keywords etc. If you're paying someone for writing I think it's better to get exactly what you want (rather than great content from a guest post that might come at things from a different angle).

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

10. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have a foodie blog and I allow guest posters to actually come up with their own content. Although if they haven't figured out a topic I do help them decide in what they should write. It's best that you are aligned with your standards too so you should tell the guest poster about your guidelines, etc.

That's a great website to find guest poster and guest blogs to post your articles. It's owned by Ann Smarty she's one of the popular SEOs in the industry. If I remember it right she's writing for SEW.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I agree that in most cases article writers who are hired to write are typically given a fairly specific topic while guest bloggers generally come up with their own topics. That makes sense, since most paid writers will write on almost any topic and need to be given a specific assignment to narrow it down, while guest bloggers are typically writing on a topic that furthers their own motives while also providing value to the blog they are writing for.

• Like Like x 1
  12. pete.mcal

pete.mcal
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah I've just started to use it. It's not a bad resource you just need to check out sites before you post to them to make sure they only accept quality content. It's very important to get links from "good neighborhoods" as well as from high PR, on topic, few OBL etc.

13. Owen

Owen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you are an Author who approach blog owners(Who really not open to Guest Post) to accept Guest Posting - The Negotiation Takes Place
    If you are an Author who writes for blog owners(Who really open to Guest Posts) - Choice of title will be yours (Still related to Blog Category)

If you are a Blogger Who accept Paid Offers from Authors - They will choose the title.