Question on replacing an employee

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by geospaulding, Nov 20, 2015.

1. geospaulding

geospaulding
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have a question about something I've been asked to do by my area manager. I manage a branch supply house and have an employee answering phones and doing clerical work. She's not great on the phone and my manager has a problem with that. He wants me to start interviewing for a replacement but I have never been in a situation where I have been asked to replace a person who is day-to-day mission critical and have the employee know I am interviewing for the position. If I discharge the employee it could take a couple of weeks or longer to find the right candidate and then another if he/she gives the current employee 2 weeks' notice and that 3-5 weeks could very well frustrate customers beyond what I'm willing to accept.

How would you handle the job posting and interview process?

2. pwarbi

pwarbi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm not sure I fully understand why your current employee will have to know that your interviewing candidates for her job?

Either way the most import thing before you get rid of any employee is to make sure that you have a reason to, and you might have to prove that she's incapable if she challenges the decision.