Question about protecting an idea

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Peteyb, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Peteyb

Peteyb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello all, I'm new here and have a question – hoping someone can help

I have an idea which I would like to present to a business, its an idea which they can use to enhance their current product. I wouldn't know how to present this idea safely to the business without them simply just taking the idea or generating a similar product. More to the point, I don’t think I could patent the idea as it would infringe it by incorporating their product.

Although I don't want to say what it is, here is an example which may make more sence. If I came up with a new widget that enhanced one of Dyson's products, how would I present this?

I would be grateful for any input

Thanks!

2. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can present the idea, but never present the process of implantation. We take this website as example idea, http://yourfbfans.com/
    I can present the idea to increase number of fans, but never present the process to get such numbers of fans. I will only present in detail, once the client take up my services, or never tell them at all.

3. Mountain Man

Mountain Man
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would go thru a lawyer. As far as the patent goes you can patent something that is only a part. A dyson vacuum is not a patent, it is a makeup of several patents, plus parts which are general knowledge.

4. Peteyb

Peteyb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for your replies - I searched around and found something that might be useful; a 'Non-disclosure agreement'. Would seem like the perfect way to get any information passed across in a protected way. What do you think? Wiki describes it pretty well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-disclosure_agreement

5. mvh

mvh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Peteyb - when I read your post, the first thing that jumped into my head was a NDA. Some of our larger customers require us to sign NDA's when working on their projects. We are not allowed to disclose or discuss it to anyone without their written consent. The information shared with us in most cases are only allowed to be used for decision making and quoting purposes.

Suggestion: Get hold of a NDA template and modify it accordingly to your needs. Have a legal person review your NDA before giving it to your potential client as you might have created some loopholes etc...