Question about marketing

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by sunfyre7896, Jan 11, 2011.

1. sunfyre7896

sunfyre7896
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have a new online business that I want to advertise for. I have read of the various ways to advertise, including affiliate marketing. Of all of the types, cost per click, cost per mille, cost per sale, etc, I find that cost per sale works best for us since we can't afford to pay every time someone clicks and doesn't buy. With CPS, we can pay commission only when someone actually purchases. What are anyone's thoughts on this and also other ways that you recommend to advertise other than email campaigns and cost per click/Google adwords? Thanks. Any advice is welcome.

Justin Roth
    Candlelight Foundation Inc.
    ccf1.org
    Candles for the Cure

#1 sunfyre7896, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2011
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The CPS that you describe is more or less the payment model used in affiliate marketing, whereby the person advertising the product or service only gets paid when a sale is generated by their ad. This is an excellent method that can work very well for both you the business owner and for the publisher. The advantage to you is that there is no upfront payment and you only pay for advertising when sales are made. The advantage for the publisher is that it gives them an additional source of revenue and if their visitors actually purchase your products the publisher can earn a lot more than what they could from say publishing network ads (e.g. Adsense) on their sites.

Are you using any kind of network to manage your sales and the payment of commissions to your advertisers?

3. jsingerston

jsingerston
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sunfyre7896,

I took a look at your website. Those types of websites are well positioned to be promoted through social media. I personally don't use social media as much as others do simply because of the time investment required to build up your relationships. However, if you or someone else involved in your business has the time to dedicate to it, I think you could make a pretty big splash through Facebook and Twitter. That would be my advice. Your kind of business needs raw publicity. Most businesses lend themselves well to SEO. The way yours is designed where you give back to charity as a core part of your business model makes you an ideal candidate for viral marketing through social channels. Facebook - Twitter - Youtube.

You could connect with people that already support those charities. They would willingly spread the word about your business for free if you could just let them know that you are out there. You will find those charity supporters in the social channels.

I think you would get better results through those methods than you will trying to build an affiliate network for yourself for the first time.

(Just my 2 cents)

4. sunfyre7896

sunfyre7896
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am looking for affiliate programs that are inexpensive to join. I know that they are free to join, but I am seeking ones that are low to no cost start-up fees and low deposit amounts. Like Shareasale is about $650 and is legit. ClixGalore is $75 for the basic package. I am just looking for options for some that aren't going to break the bank to get on their network. If you have any ideas let me know.

#4 sunfyre7896, Jan 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2011
  5. junglekid

junglekid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Another option would be installing a good affiliate management software like
    Idevaffiliate ( starts at $99), Post Affiliate Pro (starts at $199).

Free software:

Post Affiliate Pro has also a free version that can be found here.

Elitius offers a free software here.

6. andykeating

andykeating
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hi..ya i also find cps as the better option..you can also try social bookmarking and social networking sites for promotion..

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

sunfyre7896 are you interested in any particular niche or market?

8. Jenson

Jenson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think that is the most sensible approach by recruiting affiliates to do the sales on your behalf. I was once an affiliate marketeer promoting products for others. Although I earn well from it, I can imagine how much the product owner would have made with every penny that I gain on my side. Furthermore launching your own affiliate program also means you take less risk when it comes to advertising and promotion since you pay only for successful product sales.

9. sunfyre7896

sunfyre7896
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We are in the candle sales business. But it is also non-profit. Therefore, I suppose you could say we are in the Shopping => Home and Garden/Home => Candles niche as well as the non-profit niche.

I don't know if I posted my site address also if you want to see exactly which niche we are in. CCF1.ORG.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member