Quantity or Quality for Forums

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by GeeOne, Feb 22, 2011.

1. GeeOne

GeeOne
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What do you think what is important quality or quantity for forums ?

G!

2. Matt

Matt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For forums, defiantly quality. You want good content, and activity. What is the point with having 5,000 members whith only 30 active? What is the point of having 50,000 when the staff have half of it? People will always want to join a forum with quality not quantity.

3. Richard Edmonds

Richard Edmonds
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'd rather have a forum with 50,000 posts full of good, quality content than 500,000 posts with 300,000 in "count to a million" threads.

4. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I would definitely say quality is more desirable, not only for the Administrators of the forum, but for the readers as well. There have been many cases of people making posts in forums only to gain backlinks for their site, but their post only contains one line, saying something like , "I agree with other posts", or stating something that was already posted by someone else. These posts are useless, since they add nothing to the discussion. On the other hand, an intelligently written post can add to the discussion, help answer a question if one has been asked, and would be interesting to read - plus there's nothing wrong with adding a signature to gain backlinks for their website.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I also believe that quality is more important in forums. There's no pleasure in reading junk forum posts (or in removing them either).

Post counts also present a challenge to new forum owners. It's difficult to get people to join a new forum when it has very low post counts, hence new forum owners will sometimes take part in post exchanges or pay for forum posts, in an effort to get the community started.

Unfortunately, this difficulty sometimes results in the forum owner allowing lower quality posts to remain on their site, even when it is against their better judgement. This is something that I personally found challenging, however as time goes on I'm becoming less tolerant of low quality posts.

6. jsingerston

jsingerston
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If I was to start a new forum I would definitely seek partners to use in the initial launch stage. I would make sure that one of those partners was an SEO expert also.

If you can get the quality of the information high enough on a forum, then you can completely remove people's ability to create links. That quality of information will be reason enough for people to visit and read the forum, but not necessarily participate. The lack of being able to promote your own websites will act as a major deterrent to spammers.

I would say that quality of information (or of any website for that matter) would be my primary incentive to visit that website. The quantity of information is immaterial as I would try to digest totally whatever quantity of quality information that was made available to me.

I would say that my motivation for participating in a forum would be completely different. In order for me to want to participate in a forum, it would need to be either

1) highly controversial about topics that I care deeply about

or

2) provide an opportunity for me to promote my own interests

Without me having the perceived ability to benefit personally in some way, I would be much less likely to participate. I certainly would not participate for very long unless I got some benefit back out of it. This is basic human nature. We don't mind helping other people out a little here and there, but over the long run we do things that serve our own interests.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good points there jsingerston. Most people initially join forums in order to benefit themselves personally, whether that is by discussing a topic that interests them, asking a question they believe the community can give helpful answers to or to promote something. Once they have benefited from the site they feel a commitment to it and are happy to give something back to it by responding to and replying to others in a helpful manner. That has been my personal experience on some of the major webmaster forums and it is a view discussed in books such as "The Art of Community" by Jono Bacon and "Here Comes Everybody: How Change Happens when People Come Together" by Clay Shirky.

8. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I still prefer quality over quantity. But a combination of quality and quantity posts are always much better.

9. Danial

Danial
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My answer, of course, the quality. usually forums are likely to attract high quality visitors.

So, we can exchange ideas with many people.
    I want to ask, what do you mean by the quantity. quantity of thread or the quantity of users?

10. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I guess it depends what your overall aims are?

If you are looking at a forum to sell then whilst quality would be nice, quantity in the short term may do better for you. The number of active members and posts and visits will be looked at by potential buyers. Yes, they will look at quality as well, but big numbers are likely to create more interest to start with.

Personally however, I would prefer to talk on a small forum with say 50 regular members where all the discussions are based on helping each other in business, more of an online mastermind / mentoring group.

11. GeeOne

GeeOne
    uix_expand uix_collapse

IMO Also it depend on the niche of the forums, for e.g General Chat Forum the quantity is important to some extent.

G!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Richard Edmonds

Richard Edmonds
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Agreed. Never really considered the requirements for different niches, for a webmaster forum, perhaps most would expect a good number of quality threads with well known faces in the design and coding industry, and active staff. Whereas a general forum would simply flood their database with as much crap as possible to drive activity. A forum services board would deploy as many featured options for forum owners to use in their advertising campaigns, thus their quality:quantity ratio would be very much 1:1,000 with majority of their threads (and posts) being advertisements, services requests and simple "bumps".

13. GeeOne

GeeOne
    uix_expand uix_collapse

To maintain quality it is also difficult.

As if any forum is popular (like one big webmaster forum which is very successful and one of the most busiest), new member are joining and when they post it is quite possible the members who are very new may not give quality postings and that way it may not be possible to control the quality.

G!

14. f5mtadas

f5mtadas
    uix_expand uix_collapse

business always about quality, not quantity. traffic also is not about quantity, but quality.

Quality is like a pearls.

15. KateB

KateB
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree....there is no point of having a forum if the members are inactive....therefore it is the quality which matters.....

16. RogelynVKW

RogelynVKW
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For me Quantity really matters, in forums we need active member to keep the forum alive. Without people signing and posting, what's the purpose of having the forum then? Although Quality also matters in some point.

17. jorden.william85

jorden.william85
    uix_expand uix_collapse

of course quality is important for forums.

18. An Alien

An Alien
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Should be a balance between them. But quality causes more quantity (people post more) so quality is more important. But there should also be a little bit of fun on the forum, not like spam but just games like count to 10,000 or jokes thread. That makes it a more community feeling among the members of the forum.

19. GeeOne

GeeOne
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree they are useful threads particularly for general chat forums.

G!

20. pixelbob

pixelbob
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Quality is better than quantity not just in forums basically in every aspect. But it is better to have both quantity and quality.